Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer eaten climbling Rose

Posted by NorfolkMom1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 13:27

Edited : added zone info. I have read other posting about deer eating roses, but none helped me :( Could someone please tell me if I should do anything to my 2 Josephs Coat Climbing roses after deer have eaten ALL the side branches (not the leaders) over the winter. I planted them last spring and the leaders are about 5' tall. It is now April 13 in upstate NY Daffodils are only about 3" tall. Zone 5a. Should I "fresh cut" the remaining ends or fertilize because its stressed ?? Please send advice, Thank You very much ! :)

This post was edited by NorfolkMom1 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer eaten climbling Rose

I would go ahead and trim it up to the shape you want, but hold off a bit longer with the fertilizer because you could still get a few good frosts, couldn't you? You don't want to encourage too much leafing out with potential frosts still on their way. You may want to mention what zone you are in so someone from your zone can give you a good time to start with the fertilizing.

o

With climbers, the deer get the lower stuff and you get the rest. I have two Handels. The first picture is of a bush about 8 feet tall with no leaves on the bottom because of the deer:
 photo Handel_zpsd73a11ff.jpg

The second Handel was pruned down by a misguided tree service and now is too short to get established.
 photo h2_zps80e1e3c8.jpg

I accept the situation because the big Handel is taking over the space of the small Handel.

I recommend protecting your climber until it gets some height (cage) and then leave it alone.

o

thank you both very much! a big load off :)

o

Depends on how hungry the deer may be .... I have actually seen them jumping up to grab stuff way over their heads for something to eat.

It's probably best that when you build your deer protection at the base of the plant, to make it as wide and tall as you can. I have actually had roses use my deer cages for support as they continued to climb.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

My cages are free standing and not attached to the ground.
Deer would have a hard time climbing and are too stupid to push them over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here