Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chewing Tobacco ... Will it hurt the roses?

Posted by JessicaBe 5b Central Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 13:27

Ok I don't do it but my BF does and it is horrible... Well he does tobacco and he spits it out in old plastic bottles (sorry for the gross thought!) anyways I was thinking that if coffee is good for the wormies what about chewing tobacco... What if i mix it with water and water like that so I wont have to touch the nasty, disgusting, horrid stuff. Sorta of like making tea....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chewing Tobacco ... Will it hurt the roses?

Handle with extreme caution: nicotine has an LD50 that qualifies it as highly toxic to mammals. From Wikipedia: "The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 30-60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans."

Dimethoate, the active ingredient in Cygon (one of the most toxic of the "old school" systemics; no longer available AFAK)in contrast: "The oral LD50 for technical dimethoate in rats is 60 to 387 mg/kg, 60 mg/kg in mice, 400 mg/kg in dogs, 200 mg/kg in hamsters, 300 mg/kg in rabbits, 350 mg/kg in guinea pigs, and 100 mg/kg in cats"

Loosely speaking that makes nicotine approximately twice as toxic as dimethoate. Nicotine used to be recommended as a "home brew" alternative to toxic pesticides, but it took a while for people to recognize just how toxic to people it could be if tobacco is brewed and stewed into a topical insecticide. Handle with extreme caution! Do NOT let the solution contact your skin, especially if you soak a lot of tobacco in a relatively small amount of water.

o

And don't put it ANYWHERE where pets can get near it!

Jeri

o

Also has the potential to infect members of the Solanaceae family (potato, tomato, etc.) in your garden with Tobacco Mosaic Virus

o

so no I should not :) ok then I will dispose of it like normal thanks everyone :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here