Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcdmd

Tidy Disease Resistant Climbers That Bloom Throughout the Season?

jmcdmd
11 years ago

Are there any climbers that are disease resistant that behave in much thee same way that the knock-out roses do?

Just curious. If not....any almost disease resistant climber that you could recommend.

Comments (23)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I planted two David Austin climbers this spring that are supposed to be quite good on disease-resistance (though I don't know if they meet the Knock Out standard--ask me in a couple years.) They are The Pilgrim (yellow/white blend) and St. Swithun (light pink). Both grow about 8-10 ft tall.

For the past 5-6 years, I've been growing two climbers that get occasional BS problems, but definitely are not disease-magnets. Mostly they stay BS free or at least mostly BS free. They are the bright red Dublin Bay climber (quite good on disease-resistant but has very sharp thorns!) and the gorgeous pink/white Eden climber--wonderful fat blooms, but some gardeners complain she isn't strong on the re-bloom. Mine re-bloom--but not as strongly as the first spring bloom.

At one time in the past I grew the climber Viking Queen--tough, hardy rose, quite disease-resistant, pink blooms, fairly good on the rebloom.

I've been growing the older yellow climber Golden Showers for many many years, but not as a climber. I grow it as a tall and sprawling bush. If watered generously, it usually is willing to put out more blooms. However, it does periodically have some BS problems, though nothing overwhelming.

That about does it for what I know about climbers. Good luck choosing one.

Kate

• rainbow_2007
    11 years ago

Colette (Meidilland) Apricot color cup-shaped rose is what you describe.

{{gwi:252385}}

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

The Kordes rose Amaretto! I have a ton of climbers, and Amaretto is truly impressive on disease-resistance, rebloom, and bloom form and color(s).

It has it all except for scent! It has kind of a medium myrrh-like scent, which smells fresh but not like my favorite rose scents :) Sometimes it smells more like a flower, lol. Certainly don't let that stop anyone from trying this one. Wow! (It's blooming heavily now and I'm smitten).

• onewheeler
    11 years ago

Viking Queen is one of my favorite climbers, simply because she is so easy to grow. My biggest problem with her is keeping her from taking over the yard. :-)

Another great rose is Jasminia. Excellent repeat, very fragrant and hardly a mark on her leaves, also very hardy. Then there is Felix LeClerc who is also a very strong grower. My suppliers were Pickering and Palatine.

Valerie

• Kathleen_Z
    11 years ago

"Colette" or "Lunar Mist"(a sport of Colette).

I got 13 (or 14?) climbers from Brushwood last fall. They were bands and very healthy.

These two plants are still very short (under 1 foot), but already have many many flowers and buds. They don't seem to be bothered by rust or black spot. My "Lunar Mist" is next to "Don Juan" which is suffering from rust and black spot all over.

My "Eden" and "Red Eden" are taller, but start to have rust. And I am still waiting for the buds (three or four) to open after two weeks. I hope someday they will establish well and look as nice as Dublinbay's Eden!

The only complain I have for "Colette" and "Lunar Mist" is the flowers don't last very long. Maybe they are still babies.

• milleruszk
    11 years ago

I planted Ramblin Red last year and it is very hardy. It is disease free! No blackspot. In my garden even Cinco de Mayo and Julia Child got blackspot. I am very pleased with Ramblin Red.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Another observation about jasmina is that the flower clusters hang down and so rain does not get into the flowers and spoil them. Mine is in full flower and shooting up thick canes from the base. The flowering laterals are very thin and flexible and trail down with the weight of the blooms. It hangs down out of a tree for me but I think it would look wonderful on a fence or a trellis.

• kali
    11 years ago

kittymoonbeam: where did you purchase your Jasmina roses? I've searched for them and can't find them in the US.

Also, does their fragrance live up to the hype?

• the_morden_man
    11 years ago

Any particular colour you have in mind?

• professorroush
    11 years ago

Someone should point out that Ramblin Red IS a Bill Radler (the breeder of Knockout)rose. Another choice for a disease resistant red climber would be Crimson Sky, and we probably shouldn't overlook good old Improved Blaze either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• dmny
    11 years ago

I've heard Darlow's Enigma can be trained as a climber. Super shade tolerant, fragrant, and disease resistant too.

• bellarosa
    11 years ago

Hi,

I would like to recommend, Laguna. Mine is in full bloom right now and is so beautiful. I don't spray or even fertilize this rose. It's a very hardy, disease resistant rose. She's growing up a bird post. I bought mine from Palatine Roses.

-Bellarosa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

I've heard great things about Renae although I'm not sure about zone hardiness.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

'Quadra' is considered the most blackspot-resistant climber. It is very hardy and a modest grower.

For a climber that blooms as much as 'Knock Out,' that would be 'Clair Matin.' also a modest grower, and fragrant. It is fairly susceptible to blackspot, however.

'Colette' is not resistant in all gardens; in mine, it was highly susceptible, one of the worst, defoliating early in the season and repeatedly. It depends on what races of blackspot you have in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quadra

• dani33
    9 years ago

I am new to roses and have an arbor in the entry to my garden and a pergola we sit under...and I am looking for climbing rses for both. I am in zone 6, and would like a fragrant (atleast semi) rose that is a repeat bloomer that isn't overly thorny. Would Laguna make it through a New England winter? I was thinking of getting it for my arbor. I have also been eying Eden (for YEARS, actually...lol), Reine de Violette, Yves Piaget and Zephrine Drouhin. Any advice on which is better? They will both get sun, but the one I plant on the pergola will get more

• amberroses
    9 years ago

James Galway

• charleney
    9 years ago

The Pilgrim took 3 yr. to get going, but the bloom is stunning. Only one leaf of blackspot. Lucky, because up until the last couple of days it has rained , and rained, and more rain. I was anxious. Thought I had chosen the wrong rose. Absolutely worth the wait for me.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Clair Matin.

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

the_morden_man,

You aren't just going to tease us (or more accurately I suppose: tease ME) like that are you?

I wanna hear about each and all - in ANY color!!!

I wanted to hear about them two (2) years ago and I still do.

Well type up now; don't make it seem like I'm begging.

Waiting patiently...

Wait, I've done that already.

Hello?

You there?

Waiting patiently...

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

the_morden_man:

I'm still hopeful and patiently waiting. Maybe there'll be photos too?

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Patience rewarded in a different thread.

Hint: If it's good in 5, then it should be guaranteed in 6.

Red and Pink from the_morden_man -

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing rose for arbor in Zone 5???

This post was edited by sandandsun on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 18:22

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    9 years ago

I'll also recommend Ramblin' Red, had it for 7+ years, cane hardy on the trellis for me in z4 & very disease resistant. Also one of the few roses in my garden that the Japanese beetles leave alone.