Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

thornless climber, shade tolerant Z5 ?

wren_garden
9 years ago

I know I am asking a lot and there will be very few choices but if anyone knows it will be you. My neighbor installed a 6' solid wood fence across the back of my garden. We are friends enough that they put a 4' high gate in the center so we can visit and see each other. I would like to grow a climber at the gate, up over an arch I will attach to the gate posts. The fence will block the West Sun exposure along with some loose shade caused by nearby 12' tall lacey bushes. The only Roses I have so far found that might fit the bill are James Galway, and Cecile Brunner Cl. Oh and did I mention I would like repeat bloom. Not asking too much, lol. If this is an impossible task for any rose, is there some other option for flowers over the gate arch?

Comments (12)

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Maybe one of the larger hybrid musks. I think most are hardy to zone 5. You need one with long, flexible canes.

Or, might you consider a once blooming rambler, of which there are many, combined with clematis for mid and late season bloom?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin is nearly thornless, shade tolerant and rated to zone 5.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

My mom is in zone 5 and her Zephie's are beautiful! One is in sun and the other in shade...so the shade one blooms a few days later. They bloom all summer and the fragrance is wonderful :)

• lothlin
    9 years ago

Thirding Zephie - admittedly, mine is south facing so it gets a good dose of sun, but I've got one I planted two years that has survived the past two drought summers and this last awful winter (and probably had the least dieback of any of my plants.) It puts out flushes in the summer constantly, smells like heaven, and is pretty much thornless.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

A more subdued color--but exquisitely lovely--is Buff Beauty. It is a shade tolerant hybrid musk hardy to Zone 5. I grow mine freestanding--big long arching canes. As long as you attach the canes to your structure while they are younger and more flexible, no problem getting them to "climb" a structure. It is also reasonably disease-resistant in my Zone 6 (KS) and a repeater.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Buff Beauty at HMF

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the info. Kate I have a 10 year old Buff Beauty engulfing my screened in porch on the back of the house. She is pretty thorny but lovely. Chirstopher I will check out the Zephy sports. So far I am thinking Zephy will be the one. I did some heavy pruning this morning. It is too soon to tell but I may have lost 4 roses to the harsh winter. If I wait to see what roses I have to replace to put in the order for the Zephy I fear it may be late to be sure I get one. I usually order from Heirloom roses. This is the first time I have feared the loss of any rose in my garden. I always get own root and don't zone push. It was wicked. We had snow coverage but there were so many days of below 10 degrees with high winds. Will check back for any late answers to the post.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I didn't know about those two sports, Christopher, thanks!

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

How many hours of direct sun will the rose receive and at what times of day?

The explorer rose John Davis is very nearly thornless and will not suffer dieback in a zone 5 environment. However, JD does appreciate a good 5-6 hours of direct sun throughout the day and could be prone to mildew in a shadier spot.

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh that John Davis is just glorious, but I fear the Sun exposure would not be enough. Love that color too. Maybe it could be one of the replacement roses for the 4 I may have lost to the Winter.

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, I ordered 2 Zephys. There were few nurseries that still had some in stock. Martha was hard to find and when found it was sold out. I knew that it was late to order but happy to get the 2 Zephys. Now if we could just get rid of the ice on Lake Erie and get this spring rolling. Happy garden season to all. I am sure we are all itching to get out in the garden.

• Molineux
    9 years ago

CLIMBING CLOTILDE SOUPERT, the climbing sport of the Polyantha bush. Not a rose for every location but in the East can be exceptional. Absolutely miserable (from mildew) in hot, dry climates. Does wonderfully here in the Mid-Atlantic. Very reliable repeat bloomer, shade tolerant, foliage is resistant to black spot, and few thorns on the canes. The rotund buds will ball when it is cold/wet but once the summer heat hits they open into breathtaking petite blossoms possessing an intensely sweet fragrance.

Image of Clotilde Soupert by HollySprings-8a at Hortiplex

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Clotilde Soupert at the Antique Rose Emporium