Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

How much alfalfa pellets per gallon of water for tea?

Yes I forgot since last year how many cups of alfalfa pellets you use per gallon of water when you make tea? I will put the info on my computer this time so I will remember next year. Thanks for your help, Judy

Comments (16)

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

For basic alfalfa tea, I use a ratio of 1 cup of pellets to three gallons of water.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jaxondel, I was figuring a half a cup per gallon so I guess I was off just a little. Thanks a bunch for answering so quickly. Now i'm off to brew some tea!! Judy

• cattjovi
    15 years ago

I use 4 cups of pellets per five gallon bucket. Stir everyday for 5 to 7 days. Last day I add 2 cups Epson salt and 1 cup fish emulsion. I use this every 6 weeks growing season and my roses and clematis.
    Arlene

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

How does everyone get the tea out to each bush? Schlep it out to each with a bucket? OOOHHHH my back!!!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks cattjovi! I add fish emulsion sometimes too if I have it here. Whats the Epson salt for? Judy

Artemis, I have a little wagon my husband bought for me that I just pull around the yard with an 18 gallon container in it and just scoop and pour. I don't get to every rose everytime but thats OK with me. Call me weird but its kinda fun and relaxing piddling around with all my flowers, even when i'm pulling my wagon around here and there, whether it be pruning or feeding. I do though get the OUCH in my back digging the holes all these babies go in. ha ha!! Take care, Judy

• windeaux
    15 years ago

Prettypetals, The Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) is added as a source of magnesium, a nutrient that's often not present to any significant degree in chemical fertilizers, and is all but totally absent in organic fertilizers. Some soils contain adequate levels of magnesium, others don't. Magnesium functions as an aid in the production of chlorophyll. Adequate chlorophyll = greener, healthier plants = better & more roses. It can be applied in several ways -- including simply spreading it around the base of the plant and watering it in.

Alfalfa tea is very popular in my neck of the woods. It's interesting to learn how various gardeners brew-up the stuff. In addition to the ES, fish emulsion, and liquid seaweed mentioned already, here are some other additives that folks around here claim to have used: SuperThrive, chelated iron, Willard Water, booze (beer or cheap bourbon/gin/whatever), mouthwash, molasses, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, saltpetre, ammonia . . . I'm sure I've forgotten one or several.

Y'think the pleasures we derive from concocting these elixirs might be greater than the benefit they impart to our roses? ;)

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

One more question....about 1 gallon per bush?

• roseman
    15 years ago

When I was still doing this, I would empty a 50# bag of pellets into a 30-gallon garbage can and fill it up with water. Be sure the pellets are the saltless kind. I'd cover the can and stir the mix every three or four days. You do the math and I am sure you can come up with the right amount.

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

Okay..and WHY do some feel the tea is more advantageous than just putting the pellets around each bush and scratching it in and watering?

• mary_rose
    15 years ago

I live in Laurens, SC and I am having a dickens of a time finding alfalfa. I was going to look for a 50lb bag and called Verdins here in Laurens, and she can't get it..yet. She thinks she will have 5 lb bags on saturday or monday of next week. Does anybody in my area know where to get it? I was thinking about going to Walmart...but I think all they have is the rabbit stuff and isn't that the kind that has the salt? Anyway, if anybody knows where to get it here in my area, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mary

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

Artemis, The liquid alfalfa brew is immediately available in the soil, whereas the pellets take time to disintegrate into the beneficial compounds that feed the plant. There are plenty of gardeners, however, who choose not to bother with the stench and the stirring of the tea, opting instead for the scratch-in/water-in technique. Personally, I think it's a good idea to water the plants well each day for 3 or 4 successive days after scratching the pellets into the top layer of soil. Frequent watering speeds the pellets' disintegration, and prevents them from drying out and forming a crusty layer that can cause problems at watering time.

One word of caution about the pellets: I strongly suggest that they NOT be used on small plants like bands. Also, at planting time, I'd hesitate to incorporate pellets into the soil around the roots -- regardless of the size of the plants. I know from experience that the disintegrating pellets can burn developing roots and new growth.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary Rose, the local feed and seed stores here keep it. They were out last week but got in a shipment this week. I could send ya a bag but I bet it would cost a ton for shipping. Good luck finding it.

Thanks everyone for your info. Take care, Judy

• JaneGael
    15 years ago

How much tea do you apply per plant?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a 2 qt pitcher I use and just scoop it in the container and pour it around the trunk of the rose bush. I think lots of people use about a gallon per plant. Judy

• elgrillo
    15 years ago

Mary Rose,

I get my alfalfa at the feed store, as Judy said. The horse alfalfa pellets in 50lb bags are a lot cheaper by weight if you can find it that way. If anyone in your area raises horses, there is someone to supply them. Be careful about alfalfa meant for small animals, as it probably has table salt added.

Gary

• evie1955
    15 years ago

Have to laugh everytime I read conversations about alfalfa tea recipes!

How many of us (myself included) have written some of these ingredients down on a sheet of paper titled "My Wish List" and handed it to our family members when Christmas or our Borthday came along??

Then, whose family member actually bought any of it as a gift?? lol