Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Out of winter storage report

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 14:39

They're free! We got all the potted roses out of winter storage yesterday and today. All the leaves are picked up and bagged too (that's actually the worst part), We had 19 bags of leaves last fall and we have 19 bags of leaves this spring, so it came out right! 76 pots altogether. I didn't think I had that many but at the last minute I threw in a bunch of seedling pots that I had culled and intended to throw away. Now I'm glad I did because a lot of the keepers that wintered in the little greenhouse died. So I'll hang on to the best of these also rans instead.

Al had a brilliant idea to use the shop vac to suck up the leaves out of the pots. Wow! Hardly any scratches on my hands! Usually I'm a bloody mess, lol. Cleaned off a lot of the dead leaves on the branches as well. He's been coming up with some really good time savers lately!

Some of the roses have green leaves already. Others just have green cane. Some appear to be black all the way down to the grafts. Surprisingly a lot of the minis are black all the way. Those are all own root so hopefully they'll come back. My three tender zone pushers (I'm 6, they're 7), two chinas and a tea, Mutabilis, Archduke Charles and Duchesse de Brabant, all have good green cane one them!

I haven't touched anything in the beds yet but they don't look good at all. I only see a few with any green cane on them. I'll probably be filling in a lot of spots with the potted ones that wintered better. I would have to say that if you know you're going to have a really frigid winter it does pay to use some kind of winter protection on your roses. Obviously my potted ones in full protection did way better than the ones in the ground that I do no protection on. Even with record breaking snow fall!

Now on to the pruning. I'm so excited! Let the season begin!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Out of winter storage report

It's a lot of work, isn't it? I usually take the leaves off in the fall - I cut them right where they come from the cane. A shop vac sounds like a great idea!

I was thinking it would be a great idea (but probably not practical) to hoist grow lights in the garage for early spring. Then I wouldn't have to keep pinching off new growth.

Too bad about the ones in the ground. But there's still hope! Snow is a help - but definitely not enough where I am. LOL

Anyway - as you said - Let the season begin!!
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 22:40

Yes, Carol, lots of work. Every year I think, why do I do this? But then I see them all out on the patio again, with green cane and fattening bud eyes and I know why...I love them!

o

Yes. So true!!! They're totally worth it.
No question.
Carol :)

o

Kudos to you Seil! We love your pictures!

o

I'm so happy to hear your season has finally begun. Spring started earlier here, but I'm still not done with all the pruning and bagging of leaves. Wish I had your vac--Home Run scratched me up pretty badly today. Watch out for those vicious thorns!

Kate

o

The protective benefit of burlap is quite obvious this year--lots of roses with black canes above the burlap and green when covered. If you brave the cold you can put burlap on the roses to make up for the missing snow cover in the middle of winter.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:45

I started some pruning today and did get some nasty scratches. Oh well it's part of the game.

We did have good snow cover, Zack, but it didn't seem to help. It was just too darn cold for too darn long and I lost a lot of cane.

o

Glad your roses look as good as they do. I suppose this is the kind of winter you are less concerned with winter die back and more thrilled that they survived at all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here