Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teka2rjleffel

Austin for a part shade area

teka2rjleffel
16 years ago

I have an area on the side of the house that now has pots that are elevated. They are elevated because the light has to clear the 6' fence. I'd like to replace them since it truly looks like a ghetto. I want to grow 2 or 3 Austins that will grow quickly and be able to handle the 3-4 hours of light that it would get. In Florida they all get much bigger than in some other areas but I'd need it to be 6' or more. Most that are supposed to be 3-4' would be 6' here. I have The Generous Gardener and it is already large. Any other suggestions. I like Mortimer Sackler and Geoff Hamilton. I am open to any ideas. I'd like good production (continuous bloom if possible), good health (I spray weekly). A plus would be a good cut flower and a nice fragrance. Thanks.

Nancy

Comments (17)

• jerseywendy
    16 years ago

Nancy, I grow Mary Rose in an area that only gets about 4 hours of (morning) sun, and she's been doing fantastic. This will be her third season. She's bloomed a whole lot the first 2 years, and despite not getting much sun she gets a good 5'. I pruned her down a bit this year and will hopefully report on how she'll do this year in 6-8 weeks. :)

---
    Wendy

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

I'm not in your zone, but thought I'd mention that Mortimer Sackler is a delightful rose. It resembles a Noisette, to my eye, and the fragrance is lovely.

Mine was planted last year, and was a strong grower its first year.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of my best friends is a Wendy from New Jersey and my wonderful gardening sister is Mary so thanks for that suggestion Wendy. Does Mary Rose get full?
    Krista, I love the shape of the flowers on Mortimer. I also like that it is low on thorns. Thanks.
    Nancy

• jerseywendy
    16 years ago

Nancy, that is too funny. No, my Mary Rose doesn't get full sun at all. She merely gets 4 hours in the morning, and that's it.

---
    Wendy

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

As always I'm suggesting Abraham Darby. Huge gorgeous and fragrant blooms, lovely color. Mine gets four hours of morning sun at the most and has grown an awful lot since I got it last year, not only taller but wider. It's about 5 x 5 feet now but I'm sure it's going to grow more.

Ingrid

• Beth Willett
    16 years ago

I have Abraham Darby, Golden Celebration and Heritage in a bed that for most of the year gets only 4 hours afternoon sun. In the summer they get more. They are covered with buds right now! I picked these because I read that they tolerate shade. So far so good. Also, not Austins, but Buff Beauty and Ballerina get VERY little filtered sun and are also covered with buds!

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I opened this thread because of the word "shade". My yard is small with a shade. I have the majority of my roses in large pots because of all the root from the trees (poular trees). Are any of your roses now growing in low sun small enough to grow large pots? I have a big bare area that get morning sun for a litte while and the rest of the day filtered to no sun. I have a varity of roses but mostly Peter Beales. I have Austins on order, so when they come in my sun area has run out of room.

Thanks in advance.
    Liz

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Yes, Abraham Darby is a good candidate. As matter of fact it wilted in full sun on the south side of the house. One problem though: it is botrytis prone, so I suggest spraying it with some calcium solution to avoid that.

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

ceterum

Thank you for the suggestion. I will defintly put Abraham Darby on my wish list.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

I have moved it, because of the size of her, but Tess of the D'Urbervilles is very large and very floriforous beautiful blooms and fragrance. It would fit the bill for you.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• chuck_billie
    16 years ago

The David Austin site actually has a section for this and my recollection is that it has several.
    I've also heard that ZD does well in part shade but it is slow to establish.
    Good luck,
    Chuck

• trepadora
    16 years ago

Second Heritage.
    It grows fast and will be more than 6' for sure.
    Beside, it is the most health Austin that I have.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Liz,
    I guess to answer the question can you say how many hours of morning sun your pots get? Even the ones that take shade need a good 4 hours to do well.
    Nancy

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone have Geoff Hamilton. DA says it does fine in part shade. I love the look of the blooms. Any opinions on this one? Thanks.
    Nancy

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

Nancy

Yes, the all get at least 4 hours of sun (when it is not raining). My husband and I cut back alot of the lower limbs of our trees over the winter and that has helped alot with allowing more sun.

• roselover_sincere
    15 years ago

The Dark Lady, which is absolutely gorgeous, does very well in a partially shaded area, and in fact seems to enjoy it. She gets some blackspot but this is such a beautiful rose that I highly recommend her. Brother Cadfael can also tolerate some shade, though not as much as the Dark Lady; he is not as beautiful, to my eye, but he has cleaner foliage.

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Anyone know a source for buying the Dark Lady at this point in the season? Potted, not bareroot.

Thank you.

Kate