Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Rose for Mom

kentstar
9 years ago

I was visiting my mom and she's looking for some climbers. She has an arbor that she wants to put roses around that climb up and over the arch. The arbor is about 10 ft high with side wooden fencing that she wants the climbers to cover.
She lives in NJ zone 6. She's 78 yrs old. She likes all colors but was eluding to me lol that she really likes the looks of Westerland or some peachy/orange roses. She doesn't want a lot of thorns if possible.

Any suggestions for her?

In her zone I suggested Westerland as I also grow that one. I love the fragrance and I know that fragrance is a real plus with her! :) How tall would it grow where she lives? Would it be hardy enough?

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It will depend on the winter. Some winters it may not need much pruning but in a winter like the last one it would probably need to be cut back quite a bit. But it's a good vigorous grower and should bounce back. My friend has it in zone 5a and hers survived this winter fairly well and she said there was already some new growth showing on her plant. She'll be cutting it back a lot but it did survive.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How would Crown Princess Margarita do for her?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I don't grow any climbers, but I'll ask around. Westerland should get to 8' - 10', and should be hardy. What general area of the state does your mom live (NE, central, NW)?

I would hesitate to recommend any of the Austins due to the blackspot pressures in the state.

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Westerland is beautiful, but tremendously and viciously prickly. It has great vigour, but is not particularly cane hardy and I would think there would also be BS issues in the east coast. Aloha Hawaii would be a much better choice in this colour range, but it is also rather prickly.

Crown Princess Margareta is more of an apricot yellow and while it is a decently cane hardy rose, it typically lacks the vigour in colder zones to reach 8-10' in height. Because it will dieback a little in an average winter, 6' is usually it's mature climbing height in colder zones. Teasing Georgia would be a better choice in this colour palette than CPM.

Good luck.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

As I am in zone 6 near the NJ border, I think my results are relevant. Westerland had little winter damage this year. I had cut the canes back to 6' and bent them into the arbor to create more horizontal length in December. Lots of new growth from the base to the tips. My 7' arbor will be covered.

Westerland is a great climber here. It is one of the few that provides hardiness, vigor, rebloom and scent! It has more blackspot resistance than most of my roses. But, here in the heart of blackspot country, every rose gets some. I spray fungicide every 3 or 4 weeks. Westerland stays very clean on that schedule.

Westerland shares the arbor with Venosa Violacea clematis:

{{gwi:253426}}

Earlier with Betty Corning clematis:

{{gwi:253427}}

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Thanks Harry! I was also thinking Aloha Hawaii or Polka.

Teasing Georgia was horrible for me. I couldn't keep it clean, even with a fungicide treatment, it wasn't a good bloomer, and it spontaneously croaked after two years. Maybe I had a bad plant.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She lives central right near the coast. I'll check out the other couple roses. Thanks for the ideas!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Oh, then she's probably not far from me, I am in eastern Monmouth County. I'm checking with some of the locals.

• User
    9 years ago

I am in Northeast NJ. The climbers that have gotten very big in about 3 years in my own garden and are cold-hardy and very blackspot resistant are: Awakening, New Dawn and Laguna. But each of them are hyper thorny and has a tendency to go thuggish. It is a struggle to keep Awakening and New Dawn in bound. They can be spectacular if they are well trained (which has been an elusive goal for a novice like me). At the rose garden at the Bronx botanical garden, they have a 10 feet (?) tall arbor in the very center of the garden, which are covered by four Awakening. It is breathtaking.

I also have Eden (2 of them), Blaze Improved, Teasing Georgia, Collette and Crown Princess M. Eden is cold hardy, disease resistance, but has been growing at a slow pace (3 ' x 2' after three years, own root plant). It is not very thorny. All in all, I would strongly recommend Eden, but it might take far longer for it to get going than, say, Awakening.

Teasing Georgia should be a rose that does well for this area and I saw someone at Brooklyn (?) posted a glorious TG on this forum. I can say from personal experience that it has been cold hardy, very vigorous and reasonably blackspot resistant in its two years in my garden. However, it got root galls and crown galls (and I read on this forum that it might be susceptible to galls). It is moderately thorny and has far less stiff canes compared to Awakening or New Dawn. I like it very much and is trying again this year.

CPM is almost thornless, but this is my second year growing it and I don't know enough about the plant yet. Ditto to Collette. But neither seems to be particularly vigorous, and I would be surprised to if either reaches 8 feet once fully established.

Blaze Improved is a cold hardy, not very thorny, very vigorous and has flexible canes. However, it is a blackspot magnet. However, the blackspot does not seem affect its heath at all, and, if you mother can live with the blackspot, it should be a reliable and easy climber.

I don't spray any of my roses.

As to Westerland, I don't have it but understand that it is a climber highly recommended for this area in terms of blackspot resistance. Another climber that I don't grow but saw awe-inspiring specimen grown non-spray is Nahema.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

So far, in the colors that you asked about, Westerland and Aloha Hawaii are getting concurring votes.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane, she is in Monmouth County :) Over in Eatontown. Small world!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Oh! I used to live there, I'm 5 miles north now.

The Jersey Shore RS helps with a no spray garden (no climbers) in Eatontown, it is on Rt. 35 just south of the old Fort Monmouth. Also, if she is up to it, our next meeting is 5/31 @ 1:00 at Kensington Assisted Living off of Shrewsbury Ave, there will be quite a few CRs there to answer questions.