Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting an own root, bareroot in container

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 14:54

As I typed out the title of this post the question popped into my head, what if I have made a mistake purchase.
In David Austin's catalog there are a few recommendations for container roses. The thought of bareroot in a container now concerns me but that is the plan. Are there any special instructions or precautions I should take putting them in containers?
Thank you very much.

Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting an own root, bareroot in container

Bareroot, in a container, in zone 7, in almost May .... not ideal.

Bareroot in a container, at the proper planting time for bareroot roses isn't a bit deal. The trick is going to be keeping the canes hydrated until the roots establish. Mounding doesn't really work because the material falls off the pot. Wet towels or some other fabric work fairly well.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:22

It will be just fine! I plant bareroots in pots all the time well into May. I've never had a problem mounding in a pot. Actually sometimes it's easier. If you have a problem take an old plastic pot and slit the side and cut out the bottom and use it as a collar to hold the soil up on the canes. Mound up the canes and keep it moist but not soggy wet until you start to see some new growth on it. Then slowly and carefully start removing the mound. If it starts to get too hot move it into partial shade or morning sun only. Which Austin did you get?

o

Thank you mad gallica. Hope you're doing well.
Seil, I am happy with your answer. I ordered Munstead Wood, Princess Anne, and Lady of Shalott, or Shallot.
I appreciate your specific instructions. Will let you know how they do.

Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here