Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisms_gw

What are the WORST roses for my area?

chrisms
9 years ago

Which roses will be murdered in a hot and humid climate unless they are sprayed once a week or so for something or other?

Comments (13)

• amberroses
    9 years ago

Burgundy iceberg is one.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Are you limiting yourself to modern roses? or are you considering antiques like the Teas and Chinas? How about ramblers and shrubs?
    Melissa

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Pretty sure 'Stainless Steel' will work for you.....or maybe 'Simplicity'

• cecily
    9 years ago

Please take a look at the website for Chamblee's Roses. They offer a selection of both antique and modern roses that are HIGHLY resistant to blackspot (and the plants they ship are good sized). Pretty much anything you buy from Chamblee's will be a good choice. Enjoy!

• peepsi
    9 years ago

In my garden (NE MS) Austins are the worst group. They continuously blackspot and grow backward. I get some flowering but they are not the pretty rose photos shown by everyone. Most of the time they are almost leafless with a few thin branches after 4 years in the ground. No more Austins for me. I have Abraham Darby, Molineux, and Tamora.

I grow teas, chinas, ramblers, knock outs, various modern climbers and landscape roses, noisettes, and hybrid musks.

• chrisms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I asked about the WORST roses and some people on here are trying to tell me what's best!;-)

• cecily
    9 years ago

Okay, the absolute worst roses for you are lavender, purple or white hybrid teas (leafless from BS) followed by Yankee roses that need winter chill to bloom. Or buy a big, once blooming rambler and prune it hard each spring, that's guaranteed to look like crap.

• chrisms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since Tyler, Texas is called the "Rose Capital of the World", there must not be many roses that WON'T do well in the hot, humid Southern summers.

• cambel
    9 years ago

New Zealand, I had to spray it weekly and I am far north of you. Fragrant Cloud is another terrible one for down there.

Do you have a neighbor you don't like and are trying to find the worst plants to give them? lol

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

New Day was a mildew magnet for me and I don't think Angel Face is clean anywhere, lol.

• charleney
    9 years ago

I could NOT grow Angel Face, and of course , I bought it as a standard. Trimming and spraying a lot did no good.

• catsrose
    9 years ago

Most Hybrid Teas, Floribundas, and Bourbons will blackspot without heavy spraying. Rugosas do not like the heat. They pout and do nothing or just shrivel away.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I agree with Catsrose. When I changed from a spray to no spray, I ended up losing many beautiful roses. Many of the popular Buck roses needed spray. The worst for me are the ones that are unique in their beauty because they may have special blends of color. I recall Distant Drums, Frontier Twirl, and others with unique blends that I shovel pruned.

I had a theme of red and white in the front of my house. Prairie Star had to go. Europeana, Veterans Honor, Chrysler Emperior, Mister Lincoln, and many others needed to go.

Blackspot was a huge problem for me, but also the heat was a problem, and I live north of you. Some blow so fast in the heat that they are not fun to grow. I do no remember the names.

Many of us here also post on the Antique Forum where we discuss what works for us. I understand that you are asking what does not work. I have had bad luck with David Austin roses also.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Sammy