Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the WORST roses for my area?

Posted by chrisms MS z8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 15:06

Which roses will be murdered in a hot and humid climate unless they are sprayed once a week or so for something or other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the WORST roses for my area?

Burgundy iceberg is one.

o

Are you limiting yourself to modern roses? or are you considering antiques like the Teas and Chinas? How about ramblers and shrubs?
Melissa

o

Pretty sure 'Stainless Steel' will work for you.....or maybe 'Simplicity'

o

Please take a look at the website for Chamblee's Roses. They offer a selection of both antique and modern roses that are HIGHLY resistant to blackspot (and the plants they ship are good sized). Pretty much anything you buy from Chamblee's will be a good choice. Enjoy!

o

• Posted by peepsi 7/8 Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, May 1, 14 at 8:51

In my garden (NE MS) Austins are the worst group. They continuously blackspot and grow backward. I get some flowering but they are not the pretty rose photos shown by everyone. Most of the time they are almost leafless with a few thin branches after 4 years in the ground. No more Austins for me. I have Abraham Darby, Molineux, and Tamora.

I grow teas, chinas, ramblers, knock outs, various modern climbers and landscape roses, noisettes, and hybrid musks.

o

I asked about the WORST roses and some people on here are trying to tell me what's best!;-)

o

Okay, the absolute worst roses for you are lavender, purple or white hybrid teas (leafless from BS) followed by Yankee roses that need winter chill to bloom. Or buy a big, once blooming rambler and prune it hard each spring, that's guaranteed to look like crap.

o

Since Tyler, Texas is called the "Rose Capital of the World", there must not be many roses that WON'T do well in the hot, humid Southern summers.

o

New Zealand, I had to spray it weekly and I am far north of you. Fragrant Cloud is another terrible one for down there.

Do you have a neighbor you don't like and are trying to find the worst plants to give them? lol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:17

New Day was a mildew magnet for me and I don't think Angel Face is clean anywhere, lol.

o

I could NOT grow Angel Face, and of course , I bought it as a standard. Trimming and spraying a lot did no good.

o

Most Hybrid Teas, Floribundas, and Bourbons will blackspot without heavy spraying. Rugosas do not like the heat. They pout and do nothing or just shrivel away.

o

I agree with Catsrose. When I changed from a spray to no spray, I ended up losing many beautiful roses. Many of the popular Buck roses needed spray. The worst for me are the ones that are unique in their beauty because they may have special blends of color. I recall Distant Drums, Frontier Twirl, and others with unique blends that I shovel pruned.

I had a theme of red and white in the front of my house. Prairie Star had to go. Europeana, Veterans Honor, Chrysler Emperior, Mister Lincoln, and many others needed to go.

Blackspot was a huge problem for me, but also the heat was a problem, and I live north of you. Some blow so fast in the heat that they are not fun to grow. I do no remember the names.

Many of us here also post on the Antique Forum where we discuss what works for us. I understand that you are asking what does not work. I have had bad luck with David Austin roses also.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here