Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ascot habit

Posted by poorbutroserich 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:13

Went out a took a good look at Ascot. Two 8 foot canes arching over busting laterals. One 8 foot cane on the ground busting laterals. This was a MF bare root last spring.
Will keep you posted.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ascot habit

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:17

Any flower buds?

o

Hoov I will look carefully tomorrow. I swear one cane is rooting to the ground!
Yours?
Susan

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:33

6' tall and no buds at all. Two big new basals emerging, too. :(

o

Same here! Only one basal...no buds...

o

5-6 new basals! setting buds along monster canes and basals. How about yours?
Susan

o

Wow

I put mine in a 15 gal. pot and it is a modest 2-3foot only. I was afraid to put it in the ground and lose it if the multiflora died on me. Maybe I should just put it in and see what happens.

No flowers forming on it yet. If it wants to be a climber, I'm going to bend those canes over along the wall.

o

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 19:41

Not a single bud. :(

o

To date, here in southern Ontario it has been a 3-4ft plant with a few canes that defoliate completely from blackspot and few blooms. It looked dead after this winter, but I checked today and it is indeed still alive. I'll give it one more year and then will shovel prune it at the first sign of BS this year and replace it with one of my potted trial roses.

In PEI Canada, Ascot has been a superb performer. Plenty of blooms, fast repeat and very good disease resistance.

Maybe it just likes it cooler. I picked one up for my garden because of how it performed in the eastern garden, but my own results have not been comparable.

o

Mine has just really gone nuts. There are two really long canes which I semi pegged and then a bush of 6 canes or so....I will take some photos when it blooms.
Susan

o

Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 2:03

Just to torment me.

o

Here's an Ascot report from another climate. I have to admit that after reading this and some other discussion, I was second guessing my order of Ascot this spring.

I am thrilled to say that Ascot loves New England. Mine is grafted on Multiflora from Palatine. So far it's a medium-tall, well shaped plant with many, many blooms. I'd describe the habit as more shrub like than Hybrid Tea. First flush is nearly over now, and new buds are forming. Foliage is plentiful and healthy (I do spray for BS).

In my garden where everything that's supposed to be red or purple is pink, Ascot is a standout red. It's on the magenta side of the spectrum but the color stays true and doesn't lighten. The blooms have even held up pretty well to rain, and we've had plenty.

Thank you nanadoll for inspiring my choice. I just may get a couple more for my front yard to replace a certain under-performing David Austin!

o

Ratdogheads: I was thinking the SAME THOUGHT TODAY:
you said " everything that's supposed to be red or purple is pink, Ascot is a standout red".
I've been disappointed in so many red roses but Ascot is a great one!
Glad it is doing well for you.
Slow on the 2nd flush…seems to be building up size now. The first flush lasted almost 2 months.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here