Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Ascot habit

Went out a took a good look at Ascot. Two 8 foot canes arching over busting laterals. One 8 foot cane on the ground busting laterals. This was a MF bare root last spring.
Will keep you posted.
Susan

Comments (24)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Any flower buds?

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoov I will look carefully tomorrow. I swear one cane is rooting to the ground!
    Yours?
    Susan

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

6' tall and no buds at all. Two big new basals emerging, too. :(

Original Author
    10 years ago

Same here! Only one basal...no buds...

Original Author
    10 years ago

5-6 new basals! setting buds along monster canes and basals. How about yours?
    Susan

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Wow

I put mine in a 15 gal. pot and it is a modest 2-3foot only. I was afraid to put it in the ground and lose it if the multiflora died on me. Maybe I should just put it in and see what happens.

No flowers forming on it yet. If it wants to be a climber, I'm going to bend those canes over along the wall.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Not a single bud. :(

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

To date, here in southern Ontario it has been a 3-4ft plant with a few canes that defoliate completely from blackspot and few blooms. It looked dead after this winter, but I checked today and it is indeed still alive. I'll give it one more year and then will shovel prune it at the first sign of BS this year and replace it with one of my potted trial roses.

In PEI Canada, Ascot has been a superb performer. Plenty of blooms, fast repeat and very good disease resistance.

Maybe it just likes it cooler. I picked one up for my garden because of how it performed in the eastern garden, but my own results have not been comparable.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine has just really gone nuts. There are two really long canes which I semi pegged and then a bush of 6 canes or so....I will take some photos when it blooms.
    Susan

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Just to torment me.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Here's an Ascot report from another climate. I have to admit that after reading this and some other discussion, I was second guessing my order of Ascot this spring.

I am thrilled to say that Ascot loves New England. Mine is grafted on Multiflora from Palatine. So far it's a medium-tall, well shaped plant with many, many blooms. I'd describe the habit as more shrub like than Hybrid Tea. First flush is nearly over now, and new buds are forming. Foliage is plentiful and healthy (I do spray for BS).

In my garden where everything that's supposed to be red or purple is pink, Ascot is a standout red. It's on the magenta side of the spectrum but the color stays true and doesn't lighten. The blooms have even held up pretty well to rain, and we've had plenty.

Thank you nanadoll for inspiring my choice. I just may get a couple more for my front yard to replace a certain under-performing David Austin!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ratdogheads: I was thinking the SAME THOUGHT TODAY:
    you said " everything that's supposed to be red or purple is pink, Ascot is a standout red".
    I've been disappointed in so many red roses but Ascot is a great one!
    Glad it is doing well for you.
    Slow on the 2nd flushâ¦seems to be building up size now. The first flush lasted almost 2 months.
    Susan

• vickysgarden
    8 years ago

Thanks to the beautiful pictures of Ascot--and the glowing reviews---I was inspired to buy 3 of them from Palatine this spring, which just arrived today. Thanks to everyone who contributed pictures and comments. I am zone 5, and am planning on planting the 3 of them fairly close together to make 1 good-sized bushy plant.

• susuwantsit
    8 years ago

You will absolutely love this rose! But plan on 2 ft centers. She gets huge here!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I can't see the pictures! I ordered Ascot from Palantine and should have it soon.

• vickysgarden
    8 years ago

How big does it get in zone 5?

• User
    8 years ago

It gets very tall in Z6b NJ, about 8 feet, very vigorous and hardy. Quite bushy. Mine is on multi from Palatine. Beautiful blooms and great fragrance. Alas, zero BS resistant, and, since I don't spray for BS, it is a rubbish plant right after its first, breathtaking flush and barely flowers at all because the darn thing is bare naked for most of the growing season. Haven't had the heart to spade it yet... Maybe, just maybe....

• vickysgarden
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! It was your photos that sent me searching to find Palatine's website to order this beautiful rose! Just this morning I put the 3 bare root canes in the ground. Is the picture depicting 2 roses planted side by side? About how old are they?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Thanks, Vicky. It's just one rose in the photos. My two, located in entirely different parts of my garden, went in the ground in spring 2013 as bareroot roses. I hope Ascot meets your expectations, and be sure to post some photos for us. Diane

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

I never tire of seeing your Ascots, Diane. They are magnificent. Melodye

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I'm going to have to rethink where I plant this one when I get it.

• vickysgarden
    8 years ago

I have never had a rose get that big in my zone (zone 5). I may have overestimated, though, in getting 3....but now they are in the ground and I will just wait and see. I usually have quite a bit of winter kill to prune off in the spring.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

It must need winter dormancy. Mine after 2 years had all of 3 flowers. It's 8' tall. I think I'll pull it.