Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansas_girl

Should I get a new one?

kansas.girl
9 years ago

I'm sorry, I know I've been asking a lot of questions. I'm a newbie and I just really want these roses to grow! I keep getting mixed information from Google.

I planted my bare root Peace roses this morning in a pot-- after soaking overnight. First of all, they already have tall, bright green things coming out of the canes, and there are a lot of small leaves covering them. Second, when I was examining the roots I noticed that a few of the thick ones were broken and the system doesn't seem very large. I thought there were supposed to be more roots. Also, the top of one of the canes is a little blackened.

I can exchange the plant for a new one if I need to, I just need to know if I should. If I do, can I reuse the soil that I used for this one? I JUST planted it this morning. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kansas.girl
    Original Author

Thank you very much! I sincerely appreciate all of your advice!

• kansas.girl
    Original Author

• kansas.girl
    Original Author

• kansas.girl
    Original Author

This post was edited by kansas.girl on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 20:38

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

If the garden place where you bought the rose is willing to exchange it, why not go back and get one you like better! You are right--you'd like really good roots and not much going on up on top and definitely no blackened tips.

I take it you are buying them bareroot? Isn't it kinda of late for bareroots? I'd think you'd be better off buying potted ones--or has it been colder in zone 5? Here in zone 6, I usually plant bareroots between mid-March and end of March, occasionally into early April.

If for some reason you can't return the rose, trim back those blackened tips and keep it out of the afternoon sun for awhile--until it has time to settle in good.

Re-using the soil should not cause any problems.

Good luck.

Kate

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much, Kate. This is my first time planting roses and my garden center said it was still alright. Considering its 81 degrees today, and you asked if was cold, I'm taking that she didn't offer very good advice. I think I'd feel better about going back and buying a potted rose like you suggested. Do I need to do anything special to already potted roses when I transfer them to my pot? Fertilizer?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I don't grow roses in pots, so I'm not the best person to give advice, but yes, fertilizer is good--although potting mix nowadays often already has food mixed in it.

I hope Seil comes along and gives you some advice---she grows lots of roses in pots.

My guess is that you will want a pot somewhat larger than the one the garden center planted it in, so you will need to add some potting mix. Make sure the new pot has excellent drainage holes. Nothing will kill a rose faster than bad drainage. If the new pot has a tray under it, throw away the tray.

After you plant it in the new pot, water it thoroughly and deep--you want to see water coming out the bottom so that you know the entire plant has been watered.

Find a place for the rose where it will get a minimum of 6 hrs sun. Some shade or partial shade in the afternoon is often appreciated by any rose. Morning sun is the best (but the way my yard is set up, my roses get much more afternoon sun than morning sun-- it would cost a small fortune to get my neighbor on the east side to chop down his beautiful monster of an oak tree that blocks the morning sun).

That's about all I can think of. Good luck.

Kate

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

The blackened tips are probably from the late frost last week or so. And, yes, spring in the Midwest has been very late in coming. Here in Ohio, we are about 4-6 weeks behind normal planting/bloom times.

Linda

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

The heavy roots that you see now are the anchor roots. once planted, the roses will grow little white feeder roots. These are what does the "heavy lifting" for the plants.

The "green things" are new canes. Bareroots are supposed to be completely dormant when purchased (meaning, no green or white new growth, just bare canes, no leaves), so it was good that you got these potted up quickly. This new growth may die out, but they will be replaced.

What Kate said on the rest.

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I got a new one! Not a bare root, a potted Peace. I think this might be easier for me since I'm just starting out. How long can I leave it in its nursery pot? I'm getting a nice, new pot in two weeks for Mother's Day. Can I wait until then? Right now it's in a 1.5gal.

I've read that I should soak the plant thoroughly right when I get home. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Some of the leaves look pretty dry. Should I wait to water so they don't get too wet? Should I cut off the bad leaves?

Also, I have some "Rose Plant Food". I have some buds not my plant. Should I feed them?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

No fertilizer. Wait until after you plant it, and after it blooms to apply any fertilizer.

If you expect a good rain tomorrow, then sit the plant out and let the rain water the plant. If not, then make sure to water the plant well. Make sure that the holes in the pot are open, don't sit it in a saucer or anything where the pot can sit in standing water.

Two weeks is fine to wait to repot.

If the leaves are totally dried out, then remove them. If they are still green and supple, then leave them, they are working.

• charleney
    9 years ago

As long as the pot has drainage, you cannot get it too wet! I love Peace. I would wait for an overcast day or give it a lot of shade for a day or two, before you transplant to another pot. Then keep it shaded for a few days after that if it is hot!

Sponsored
VA Exteriors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Family Owned & Operated Exterior Construction Experts