Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

your favorite coral, orange, or deep pink roses?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hello lovelies, I am looking to add a little contrast to my yellow/ soft peach rose boarder. I am all about the warm colors and I want to add something with an orange, coral, or deep pink to make the others I have pop, I'd like something fairly upright, that will be hardy in my zone 7, red clay filled, full sun boarder around my front porch, the taller and more upright the better ( I want to block my view of my neighbors ugly yard) it doesn't matter what type it is as I like a mixed garden, I think it's more fun than one that is uniform. I have been considering: fragrant cloud, star of the Nile, easy going, dream come true, Benjamin Britten, and Robert Clements. Leaning toward fragrant cloud, but I don't think it has the height I want ( I may still find a place for her even still though) Although I LOVE the classic or "English" rose style I think I may need more of a grandiflora or hybrid tea for more height than width what's your opinion on the tallest non climbing rose varieties? I'm afraid of climbers for some reason, they seem like so much more work, what do you think?

For reference I already have:
Midas touch -HT
About face- Grandiflora
Golden celebration -Austin
Lady of shalott- Austin
Lady Emma Hamilton- Austin
And a couple of knockouts that probably will be moved once I find something more interesting to put there.

Feel free to give me any suggestions or to just list roses in that color family, or of a more upright nature that you have had good experiences with. Thank you!!

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 15:40

Comments (10)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Tropicana, an orange rose has always been a good one for me, it's a consistent bloomer and mine are disease resistant, it can get fairly tall. Folklore might be even better. It has gorgeous blooms, coral orange with yellow and it is a fantastic bloomer, it can get really tall. I have included a picture of Tropicana.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I goofed on this one. I thought I edited this with the following post. This is the McCartney Rose, it is a medium pink, sorry!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 18:11

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Two Deep Pink roses I have are Big Momma and Buxom Beauty. Buxom Beauty is lovely and smells wonderful, but I think it's only a medium height. Big Momma is very healthy, a good bloomer, but I don't think the blooms would appeal to everyone, sometimes they are lovely, but not always. It is supposed to get fairly tall. I just planted Rina Hugo, which is supposed to get tall, but I don't know about it yet. I have included a picture of Buxom Beauty.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Deep Pink - Pink Peace would be a good candidate.
    Orange - Livin Easy , Voodoo
    Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 2:07

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I only planted Chicago Peace today so I do not know the colors from my experience. But from the photos of this rose posted in the Rose Gallery, Chicago Peace seems to possess all the colors combo that you are seeking.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I enjoy this color combo a lot. I currently grow Tropicana, Touch of Class, Snuffy, Chicago Peace and the coppery orange Remember Me. These all get fairly tall and flower quite a bit from spring to late autumn. Of these 5 roses I think you might enjoy Remember Me. Nice full bush from bottom to top with beautiful foliage that is very disease free and hardy. Born in Northern Scotland and tested up against the winters of the North Sea. An easy to grow rose in my garden. Take a good look at it. Plant 4 or 6 close together and you have a "WOW" factor.

• texaslynn
    9 years ago

Westerland seems to fit your requirements! It's described as a "shrub/climber" although mine grows as a tall, upright shrub to about 5' (I trim it quite heavily in the spring so it would grow taller if I let it). It stays upright - the canes are not lax at all.

The flowers are large, double and bright apricot/orange - very eye-catching. It doesn't seem to be bothered by any disease problems here and blackspot is a big problem here where it's hot and humid. It's listed as being hardy to zone 5.

Incredibly, I don't have a picture of it but you can look it up on Helpmefind.

I also have Easy Living, which I like very much although mine is a small shrub. Heaven on Earth is a shrub that produces beautiful huge pastel apricot blooms. Perhaps my favorite in an orange/apricot color is Pat Austin, which does very well here.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I just planted Fragrant Cloud this year. I was looking at the first open bloom and a bud late yesterday - they are gorgeous and smell divine! It is near a Royal Sunset climber with a purple clematis on the trellis - I love the combination of the Fragrant Cloud and the peach of the Royal Sunset. There is a yellow rose blooming nearby and I really love this combination. FC might grow tall - as hybrid teas can tend to do. You might really like this rose - it has been around a long time, I would suppose for good reason. I have never grown it but the blooms are huge.......I am really liking this rose!
    Judith

• KnoxRose z7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your pictures and responses! I have so many more beautiful types to consider now! (a good and a bad thing!) I definitely will be getting fragrant cloud, I just really want to smell this fragrance I have heard so much about, plus it is an incredible looking flower too, so it's like a double whammy. I'll have to find room to squeeze a couple more of these other suggestions in too.