Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have my roses set flowers/Ia it too late to prune

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 15:33

Dear Garden Folk

yet another rose shrub post.

The Forsythia have come and gone. I'd like to prue my shrub way back for shape.

Am i too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have my roses set flowers/Ia it too late to prune

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 15:36

No, I wouldn't think so in MA. Not counting this wacky spring, I usually don't do any pruning until April here so you should be fine. It may delay your first bloom a wee bit but it won't hurt them at all.

o

Look at the tips of shoots and see if they are setting buds. If so, I would wait until after the first flush of bloom to prune. That way you have a longer blooming season. You can take canes back individually as soon as each has bloomed out. But it won't hurt the plants to prune now if their shape is bothering you.

o

thanks!

o

yep, I would wait a bit too and do a summer prune.....if you must.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here