Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Is This Rose Rosette on My Reine des Violettes?

Laurie
11 years ago

I ordered a bare root Reine des Violettes from David Austin.

Today, I was out looking over things and noticed that this one bush (all the others I ordered look ok so far, although some are not leafing out as much)has some really strange looking leave formations on it, that do not look good at all.

I have a bad feeling about it.

Can anyone let me know if this is something I should worry about? It looks like rose rosette to me (the pix don't quite do it justice).

Thanks.

{{gwi:254231}}

{{gwi:254233}}

{{gwi:254235}}

Comments (27)

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Is only one shoot affected? Is the shoot coming from the end of a winter-damaged cane? This does not look like RRD to me. I don't see the vigorous growth, thorniness, reddish shoots. Are you sure it isn't herbicide damage or just damage from winter-injured canes? Over-fertilization can also cause stunting and leaf damage, as can some sprays. I have had some roses that have had RRD, but others here I am sure have more experience. Damage from Round-up (glyphosate) can also mimic some RRD symptoms.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just planted it 5 weeks ago, in the middle of March. And it's a few shoots, not just one. Our weather here has been pretty mild for the most part, we only had a couple of days where the temperatures were near freezing since then, but not at freezing, however, the bush hadn't even started to leaf out by then. The canes never suffered any dies back, they were always green.

I also haven't used any herbicide or fertilizer on it yet, although now that I think about it, my landscaper was by the other week to re-mulch and weed the beds and I believe they sprayed for weeds also, although I told him to be VERY careful around the roses.

I'll try and get a pretty photo. It's starting to rain, and they predict terrible storms from tonight through tomorrow :(

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops meant "Better" photo lol.

Although, it might be pretty too :)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Looks fairly typical of Round Up damage, if that is a possibility.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Drift from herbicide spray can travel yards. That is probably the situation.

• buford
    11 years ago

Herbicide damage.

This is herbicide damage:

{{gwi:254236}}

This is RRD:

{{gwi:250874}}

I know the first picture is RU damage because I know I sprayed RU near there, and I've seen RU damage before. RU damage is usually wispy growth. RRD usually results in hypergrowth.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I'm relieved.

It looked really odd to me. The growth is just so peculiar looking. I've never seen this before. At my last home, I didn't have anyone ever spraying weed killer in beds. My roses were only in my backyard, and had been dug into the lawn by my ex and I. We just mulched around them.

This home, I had actual beds dug up last year by a professional landscaper. I had to do it, the last owner kind of already had beds there but they were a wreck. It never occurred to me that the weed killer would be that powerful to effect the roses. No less, I still have weeds popping up in the darn mulch *frowns*

Ok, so I assume that this will recover then? Is there anything I can do to help it along in the interim? And obviously I'm not going to have the landscaper use that stuff ever again. I'll suffer with the weeds and pull them up by hand!

Thanks!

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Is this RRD?

{{gwi:254237}}

Sorry I couldn't get a good picture but there is some odd growth here. Its my neighbors rose...
    {{gwi:254238}}

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

JessicaBe - I am sorry to say that it does look like RRD to me :-( - while I did think Sivyaleah rose looked damaged by herbicide.

I would never trust lawnmen and herbicide (weed) spraying - careful around my roses - I have sometimes wondered if some of them didn't actually smoke them :-) by the damage I have seen. The slightest wind can cause a little part of the spray mist to drift many yards away and - only a few droplets hitting ornamental plants nearby - cause this strange distorted growth.

Limit herbicide use to spot-treament with utmost care to perennial weeeds - with deep roots - that are nearly impossible to eradicate by all other means. And if spraying is needed - choose days with little to no wind and nozzle mist protectors.

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

Can herbicide damage occur way out on a cane that is far from where the spray was applied? I sprayed roundup heavily on some ivy growing under a climber, and later had some growth similar to Sivyaleah's way out on a cane. I cut out the cane and all regrowth this year looks normal so far.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

JessicaBE: The pictures of the neighbor's rose are not clear enough. New growth in the spring is reddish anyway, but the growth also looks a bit deformed. Of course, a neighbor's infected bush can also infect yours (via mites).

• michaelg
    11 years ago

JBE, please get better pictures.

Erasmus, normal regrowth suggests it was not rosette disease, so it was herbicide damage.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, assuming it's herbicide damage what do I do about this?

Do I just cut back the affected canes?

Thanks.

• buford
    11 years ago

You can cut off the affected canes, or not. It's not going to harm the rose or spread to other canes or roses. The cane may recover or it may die off.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Buford. I'll probably cut off the odd growth just to be on the safe side.

I emailed my landscaper this morning to find out what product he used. At least this way I can either rule it in or out as a suspect.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Sivyaleah - I had the same thing happen to me last year, but from a friend, not a gardener. He thought he was doing me a favor as my grass was overgrown and had weeds in it, to "round-up" my lawn. Oye. Meanwhile, one particular rose - easily 20' away, looked awful all year. I cut off the "ugly" growth, but the rose just had a bad year. This year it is back to its original healthy self.

Buford - thank you so much for those incredibly clarifying photos!

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Ok here are I think better photos

{{gwi:254239}}
    {{gwi:254240}}
    {{gwi:254242}}
    {{gwi:254243}}
    {{gwi:254244}}
    {{gwi:254245}}
    {{gwi:254246}}

• buford
    11 years ago

Sorry to say that that definitely looks like RRD. the amount of growth coming out of those smallish canes is a give away. That is what I noticed on my Ballerina. There was normal growth and then WHAM a big clump of foliage very similar to your photos. There is not mistaking it.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

ugh, I got cutting from it too, so far one of the cuttins has this growth so far the other cutting that is with it doesn't yet. I will have to tell my neighbor...

Thanks buford

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

Ugh..looks like RRD to me. Those are some wonderfully clear photos also.

Michael, thank you, I hope you're right. I was thinking that early regrowth can look normal but the aberrant growth can kick in weeks later. Will keep an eye on it daily.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

The spread of this is just heartbreaking.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the good information in this thread. I found it while trying to determine what is wrong with three to four roses in my yard. At first I thought it was insect damage, then WeedBGone overspray, but the excessive thorniness looks like RRD. I've cut out affected branches. I've uploaded some photos to get some feedback on if this is indeed RRD. The photos are from three different plants.
    {{gwi:254247}}

{{gwi:254248}}

{{gwi:254249}}

{{gwi:254250}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:254230}}

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    11 years ago

Actually, now that I've read a little bit more I am hoping this is herbicide damage on the top photos. I did spray roundup last year to try to kill some soapwort that was overtaking the area. Hopefully that is it.
    Thanks
    Tammie

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

gumneck try posting those photos on http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0420114631872.html?30

Here is a link that might be useful: Awkward RRD situation- posting

• JRamey
    11 years ago

Well, by now you have probably figured out that your rose does indeed have RRD. I have been fighting this disease since last year. One of my great frustrations is the lack of consistent information.

What have the rest of you been doing to handle this disease? I mean aside from removing the infected rose, which is almost unreasonably difficult since established roses have tree sized roots.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

jramey, I think most of us are feeling frustrated and hopeless. Other than completely disposing of the rose, there does not seem to be an good "fix" or solution. And yes, digging to get all those roots is definitely hard on the back.

Kate

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Thanks! for bringing these picts back up. I've been wondering about some odd growth, but believe it is herbicide damage, now. I'm bookmarking this thread.

I watch as carefully as I can for odd growth, fret when I find it, sometimes cut it out and sometimes feel relief like I just did when I read this thread. I see RRD all the time in my area and occasionally in my garden.

Ann Peck's website on RRD is a terrific resource. I do get a bit frustrated when I can't enlarge the photos, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Peck's RRD Web Book