Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

patience please, it's too soon!

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

There have been a lot of posts already from cold zones saying their roses are all dead. PLEASE! It's way too soon yet to pronounce that. In zones 6 and lower, and maybe even some zone 7s, there has not been enough warmth yet for the soil to come up to a temperature where roots can begin to feed new growth. I barely have a crocus or two blooming. By this time last year I had daffs and tulips blooming and the roses pruned. I was out working in the beds cleaning things up this weekend and I know there are still spots where there is ice in the soil. I couldn't get the leaves off because they were still frozen to the ground. And we've had several days in the 50s and even a couple of 60 degree days. So do not sound the death knell on your roses yet. When the soil gets up to temperature, usually about 50 degrees, things will start to grow. Then you will have a better idea of what is still alive. But even then give them some time to recuperate and get going. Grafted or own root if you have to cut them to the ground they are going to need more time to come back from that because you will have cut off a lot of the energy they stored in those canes last fall. So please be patient and don't jump the gun and start yanking out roses you think are dead. I know we're all really eager for the season to start but with as cold as things have been for so late in the year it's going to take more time and we just have to grin and bare it.

Comments (8)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    10 years ago

This is a great time for moving roses around, if the soil isn't too wet. I just moved a dozen mature roses into a V shaped bed in the front yard. It almost got up to 60 when I was outside. Then we got half an inch of rain last night.

It find it a good time to do severe pruning--removing old non-productive canes from mature roses--sawing them off at the bud union with a pruning saw.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    10 years ago

Even though I don't live in the cold area, this is a great advice nonetheless because two out of three bare root roses I ordered from Jackson and Perkins look like they are dead but I will give them a bit more time (The pencil-size canes of these two roses alarmed me when I received them.) I'm lucky I live in an area where I haven't had any roses dying on my watch before. Thank you seil.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Well said.....

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Go, Seil! Paul Zimmerman just posted a similar article!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Heck some of our roses have a lot of green on the canes but the buds still haven't even started swelling much yet...Its still chilly yet here.
    Looks like our weather starts to improve soon though so things should start growing...I'm in no hurry to prune this year...

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I have cut back but won't hard prune or uncover til I see the forsythia. Some of them look pretty bad...but I am cautiously optimistic. In the past I have found some good things under the mulch. Guess that is what spring is all about

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Yes, if you want to do some transplanting, and the soil is digable, now is a good time. Otherwise we need to just wait some more. I know it's hard. I'm as itchy as everyone else to get out there but it's still too soon. I checked my forsythia today and there isn't any even any signs of growth let a lone bloom on it.

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Wise advise indeed, Seil! Lots of us northerners have been through brutal winters followed by our old nemisis by which I mean cycles of disappointing spring thaws followed by chilly temps which included dreadfull wind chill factors to make growing our favorite plants (which are roses of course! :-)) all the more challenging. In past years I have been frequently been pleasantly surprised by roses that I've thought were gonners fully reviving into satisfying plants that have gone on to give me years of joy! Rosarians know that roses are FAR much tougher and easier to grow than many nonrosarians know! I'm gratefull that this spring in Spokane, WA has seen some nice and toasty days up to 70 F so far!! :-)