Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

P.S. re. No Spray Only Water? And Pic Test

Meant to ask hoovb and anyone in our area.....water and Bayer sufficient ? No spray for rust or black spot? Is Bayer enough or need extra N.?
Thank you! Is pic correct?

Comments (16)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you using the Bayer 3-in-1 and want to know if you should add other fertilizer?

Picture looks great--just need to rotate it to the right. Your garden looks pretty!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are one true sweet one to help me!! Yes, bayer 3 in 1 , with occasional miracle grow. Another pic try....sideways on my screen...good here?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Needs a rotation. Lovely garden! That brick is elegant and you have the majestic background views of the Eucs.

Sorry to say this, (no disrespect!) but I am not a fan of the Bayer 3-in-1. The fungicide is ineffective, the pesticide is unnecessary, and the fertilizer is overpriced.

Best to get rid of the worst Rusters--in the long run the happiest garden and gardener that way--and accept slightly imperfect foliage otherwise. And insecticide causes more--or at least as many--problems as it solves.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm here seeking knowledge and have no stock in Bayer, so you go girl :)
    So, no fungicides, only water and fertilizer...natural, I suppose, such as ? steer manure or? You have such a beautiful garden, and we are neighbors, so what's good for thee , should work for me. please share just a bit more, and big thank you, again!!!
    And one more try at a rotation. Privacy trellis is new and awaiting some big evergreen tree or shrub in a pot. Not sure what.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

In my limited time growing roses besides sun, water, mulch and loads of horse manure, there seems to be one big thing required to grow roses. It is very hard to acquire as well......

Patience

Time to grow roots and time to get the right predatory insects

And maybe the guts to shovel prune the duds. :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes... Oh the dreaded SP. how was the last pic?

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Hey Kippy, you forgot:
    The courage to accept the fact I can't grow every rose ever bred
    LOL
    Susan, using only water, manure and organics

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Susan....I totally forgot about that problem! I keep adding roses to my wish list and not taking them off....ooops

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

If you want to use fertilizers, either get a continuous feed like Osmocote (or similar brand name) or get a bag of one of the Tones (Rose Tone or Plant Tone) which is organic and should be applied monthly or after each blooming cycle.

Check the ingredient percentages in the panel on the side or near the bottom in back. Osmocote has one version that is very high in nitrogen--19. You probably want a more "balanced" mixture--more like 10-10-10 or 5-5-5 or something near that (they don't have to be exactly even).

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Rotated the other way next time. Great privacy screen!!! Clematis 'Perle d'Azur' would look faaaaabulous there. Not much room for anything but vines, it looks like.

I spot fertilize--just when a rose looks tired and in need of encouragement. Some of them never look tired. Mulch, mulch, mulch. Here our soil is rich with everything but N--so high N works for me--MG lawn food for example. Tom Carruth remarked in his tour at the Huntington that lawn food for roses is good.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Re. Pic: i have rotated once to right and once to left. This time I'll try a 360. Thanks! Re. N. for fert., I thought that would encourage the green, leaving blooms needing more. Hmmm. Do they not need the Phosphor for bloom?
    Glad you like! I love our new privacy trellis. Had to pull off a bower vine to build it, and decided I want that side to be tall, green and neat. Sooo, two or three big pots with **ficus trees or tall shrubs will go there. Behind the pots , on the stucco wall, I plan to train a small, short vine that will be manageable, or perhaps an espalier of star? ( the evergreen one) jasmine. What we want to avoid is a vine that will entwine and engulf the trellis. Otherwise, I'd have a climber there..... Of course. :>)
    The next pic..oh please be right side up....shows other side of yard and where we put the trellis the bower vine was on. So close to privets, unsure what we'll grow on it. I really appreciate everyone's input and interest.!!!
    ** suggestions gratefully encouraged!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kate. I've been meaning to try osmocote, and will,look for rose tone. Good info. Pic is upside down here, so good there I'm guessing??
    Pretty yellow is floribunda, Eureka.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's upside down now. I read some phones have a software bug that leaves the photo sideways even after you rotate.

Star Jasmine is very nice--expect it to be very slow to start, it sits there doing nothing a year or so--then it shoots skyward. Most all vines are not very well-behaved, but Star Jasmine is manageable. Smaller climbing roses are actually the best behaved.

Please skip the Ficus, or make sure you keep them and their horrible root systems in the pots forever.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, I do know how wicked ficus can be, but Armstrong has had one in large pot up front as display for years. Whatever it is, feel we need a large green something to balance the pool/ hardscape/privacy trellis side from green side on other side of yard. Anything large must be in pot due to pool pipes. Since the privacy trellis went up, we really just need some tall green softening, I think.
    Will see what's at nursery.
    Can a little climber be kept at four feet? How about 2-3 big pots of tall, green shrubs, with jasmine beneath, and two small climbers on their own trellis under the big trellis?We have some kept short under a window .( see pic.
    Is any of this making sense? If you're still there, thank you. :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Go for it! :) I'd just use 'Iceberg's. They are so classic.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Icebergs! Yes!! How funny...... so ubiquitous they've become invisible to me.
    Put n big, fat, tall green something in pots, iceberg between the pots. Wonder if they'd object to the jasmine at their feet. Be a pretty combo.
    :) Will post once it's done. You have helped me!

Sponsored
Horizon Building Corporation
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Unparalleled Renovation & Home-Building Solutions in Fairfax County