Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover under roses

Posted by kahlanne z8 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:46

Our local store has creeping juniper on sale and I was wondering if it would work well as groundcover under my roses? I have an island bed that has roses only and always struggle with weeds. I have heard that juniper will choke out the weeds somewhat. Is this true? Would this be a great companion plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover under roses

I use compost in my rose beds and have never had to weed. It
works great.

andreark

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:39

If it will choke out weeds it could also choke out roses. I'd be worried about that juniper taking a lot of water and nutrients away from the roses. That's why it's not recommended to plant roses in a tree root zone. And even creeping juniper is a type of tree. I'd go with mulch.

o

I put all kinds of small herbaceous plants under my roses, and roses and groundcovers all look happy. I agree that juniper is too big and would compete with the roses. Mulch is good too...use both!
Melissa

o

I have planted some virigated vinca in between my roses. It spreads but isn't invasive and has pretty lavender flowers.

o

I used various hardy low-growing genarniums (e.g, Geranium Rozanne) and ceroposes (e.g., Mercury Rising) and lots and losts of laveders to fill in the empty spot between my roses. It has worked well for me so far (about two years) as none of these appears to an agressive competitor to the roses. (The bonus point is that they are supposed to be "deer proof"/"deer resistant" although "my" deer seem to eat anyting and everything when hungry....) I have a very small gardening space (thanks to the roaming deer) so I try to fit in as many plants as possible in my fenced front yard. I dislike mulch as space fillers, but my ideal garden could be a weedy eyesore for those more organized.. This year, I am adding chives among the roses, which is supposed to repell pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here