Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Austin roses for Northern California/Orinda area

Posted by stlgal south z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 15:47

Hi everyone,
I grow dozens of David Austin roses here in St. Louis, but am not sure which one of the containerized ones they sell would do best as a gift for a friend who lives in Northern California/Orinda area. The possibilities I'm strongly considering are:

Ambridge rose
Carding Mill
Crocus rose
Eglantyne
Grace
Munstead Wood
Princess Alexandra of Kent
Scepter'd Isle
Sharifa Asma
The Alnwick rose
William Shakespeare 2000
Winchester Cathedral
Young Lycidas

They particularly enjoy roses in the peach/pink/cream color range, so it would be great to find one like that, with good scent and a tolerance for the dry climate.

Thanks for any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Austin roses for Northern California/Orinda area

Carding Mill is one of the best Austin roses in the peach color range for a hot and dry climate. It's also very beautiful, although fragrance is not very strong. Harlow Carr unfortunately does not like the heat and I had to give mine up, even though it's very pretty. It crumpled up in the slightest heat. Sophy's Rose, Charles Darwin, Miss Alice, Lillian Austin and Mary Magdalene and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild looked great in a public garden on a blistering August day one year.

Ingrid

o

thanks for that information--I have seen Carding Mill get raves from others for heat tolerance as well. I was hoping that one of the pale to medium pink or buff/white ones might also be good performers (Sharifa Asma, Scepter'd Isle, Winchester Cathedral, Alnwick rose, Princess Alexandra, Crocus Rose). I grow a number of them here but it is difficult to compare the climate conditions.

o

Cressida comes highly recommended from a respected Rose Pro near me, I haven't planted one yet but I intend to one day when a spot is available.

o

Winchester Cathedral, being a sport of Mary Rose, should do quite well since Mary Rose tolerated the heat well when I grew it.

o

I've found the following link to be helpful - and live in your general area: http://www.eastbayroses.org/resistantroses.html

o
pink or cream? maybe Scepter'd Isle, Eglantyne, Sharifa Asma or W

Thanks for the information--I'm also comparing with what they say in the Austin catalog, which is that Ambridge rose, Carding Mill, The Alnwick Rose and Winchester Cathedral all end up on their hot/dry climate rose list and Sharifa Asma is on their hot/humid list. I'm finding this hard to believe for Alnwick rose though, since these blooms seem to wilt in the heat of my St. Louis garden. I see someone in Texas has had good success with Scepter'd Isle and Ambridge rose also

I wanted to get one of the smaller ones Austin sells as a container plant rather than bare root, since it will be a gift and my friend may want to keep it potted for a while.

I'm tending to think given the color scheme they have in their yard that he'd like a white/cream or pale pink one, maybe:

Scepter'd Isle
Eglantyne
Sharifa Asma
Winchester Cathedral.

Let me know if you have any opinions/info about any of these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here