Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess2132000

Bayer Advanced All In One Rose and Flower Care question

jess2132000
14 years ago

How much do I put on each rose bush? I got a new bottle of this stuff today and the instructions that where on the back we missing so I have no idea how much per rose bush is used. I thought it was 1 tablespoon per gallon or half gallon of water??

Comments (27)

• charleney
    14 years ago

Roses
    2 fl. oz. (4 TBSP) in 1 quart of water treats 1 plant.
    Flowerbeds
    2 fl. oz. (4 TBSP) in 2 gallons of water treats 12 sq. ft.
    Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendrons, and Other Shrubs
    1 fl. oz. (2 TBSP) in 1 quart of water per foot of plant height

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

The real answer is: Don't use All-in-one. It includes an insecticide, doesn't it? If you use it, you will kill off the "good" bugs that prey on the "bad" bugs. You don't want that.

Instead, buy a fertilizer (with nothing extra added to it) and feed your roses. If you need to spray for blackspot, use Bayers Garden Disease Control (no insecticide in it). If you have insect problems, come here and ask for non-insecticide ways to get rid of the "bad" insects. We love to help out in such matters.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Yeah, alot of people do not recommend using the 3 in 1 soil drench product. Your earthworms and other soil life will be screamin in agony. lol

• User
    14 years ago

I finally found Bayers garden disease control.
    I was sooo happy, they finally had it at the big box store.
    Last year I used a little baking soda and water, and it really didn't work that well, poor roses still had blackspot. (it did help a little though)
    I have already sprayed them once with the Bayer this spring, and will every 6 weeks through out the summer.
    It states there is no insecticide in it.
    I use a cup of water and get the beatles off by hand.
    gross, but it works.
    I also invite the birds into the yard with a bird bath.
    They clean my roses while they are there.
    That disease control is hard to find, by the way.

• new2rosesz9cal
    14 years ago

Butterfly--I don't mean to be a jerk--I'm too new at this to really know much--but I was told not to use the all-in-one if I was also trying to attract birds since it could be toxic to them. Don't know if someone was just trying to scare me but it's food for thought. That stuff seems pretty powerful. Cynthia

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

DO NOT USE ALL IN ONE

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Actually, those "All-In-One" things are generally less-effective than things that you just spray.

Also check your Bayer products carefully to see if what you're using contains Imidicloprid. That chemical is known to trigger seizures in susceptible individuals.
    Yes, it IS the same chemical used in Advantage For Fleas, and that seizure caution applies there, as well.

Jeri

• frank1965
    14 years ago

jerijen- many things everywhere may "trigger seizures" to someone somewhere- please don't be an alarmist. Read the label and follow the instructions. We all make our own decisions in life.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Frank, you may never have watched a dog you love collapse in grand mal seizures after exposure to rose sprays.
    I have.

You make your own decisions.
    I will continue to make people aware of possible problems.

Jeri Jennings
    Consulting Rosarian

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeri. I sure hope Americans are getting educated on the use of harmful chemicals.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

--SIGH-- I think some are. I often think about people who have very small children or grandchildren, rather than a dog.

We learned the hard way -- I hope others don't have to.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

This may not be a popular opinion, but I believe in using organic fertilizers, compost and mulch to build up the soil (alfalfa meal is really great) and then choosing roses that are not very susceptible to disease. Spraying poisons around for the sake of a few flowers is not something I could justify to myself. My garden is filled with wildlife and beneficial insects, and I don't have to worry about anything dying because of my selfish needs. The roses and other plants look great because they're adapted to my area. I eliminated all the grass and my pets no longer have fleas. It's a very peaceful (and for me guilt-free) and happy environment.

Ingrid

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

I share your thoughts Ingrid! ;-)

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I could not agree with you more.

• melsbar_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how much to put on my hibiscus. I don't have my instructions.
    Thanks

• kerrygirl
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I could use some help please! I am a newbie to roses. Two weeks ago I Planted a rose bush in the ground with a small shovel full of chicken manure and handful of bone meal and a week later used bayer 3 in 1 on it. It started dying less than a week later, lovely stems turning a horrible black, coming up from the bottom. I have been caring for this plant for a few months prior to planting it, wanted to be sure it would be happy in its new home, so I know it had gotten enough sun and water and was very healthy and happy. Did I burn it and can it be saved?
    Thanks for any help,
    Kerry

• pinotmom
    8 years ago

Now that I have purchased it, I plan to use it and not be wasteful. Thank you, charleney(8a PNW) for the info. My instructions stuck together and I could not read.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

That why most other informed countries of the world have banned the use of pesticides. Reasoning, rationalizing and accurate information are hopeless endeavors.

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

I bought a sticky cardboard spider trap from Walmart; it said safe around children and pets. Our 70 pound Taz was chewing his bone next to the dresser where I had placed the sticky trap in the back. He had the first seizure I ever witnessed. It's difficult to attribute it to anything but that " safe " trap. Initially it's hard to go cold turkey but now Iv'e gone totally green. Vinegar spray has worked way

better at keeping spiders out than the pest control guy with the super toxic spray.

• cadiarose
    8 years ago

A sticky trap caused seizures? They don't have chemicals, that I'm aware of. I use them in my bedroom, where I have a small parrot, because her seed flinging has attracted mice/voles to enter from under the house. I have caught too many of these darn things that I wasn't even aware were entering the house. The traps have not caused any health issues with my bird. Birds are usually highly susceptible to noxious chemicals.

Beautiful dog, mudpie7.

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

Thankyou for the compliment Cadiarose. That particular kind of trap i bought had a strong odor, and frankly I don't trust anything from China, which is just about everything. Glad you parrot is doing well.

• kittymoonbeam
    8 years ago

Lemon scented dish soap will chase off spiders as well.

• jacqueline9CA
    8 years ago

Given the terrible crisis with honey bees disappearing, I don't think anyone should be using anything which they know will kill bees feeding on the flowers. Just my opinion.

Jackie

• beverlydonnell84
    7 years ago

Can i use the bayer 3n1 on my miniature climbing rose bush & if yes how much should I use

• Larry (Los Angeles, 10a, Sunset Zone 19)
    7 years ago

Yes, I'm assuming you have the concentrate. Try doing it very early in the morning or night when bees aren't active. It says to dilute 5 and a quarter tablespoons of concentrate in 1 gallon of water. You'd probably only need half a cup of spray, or 3.125% of a gallon, so doing the math you only need roughly half a teaspoon or a teaspoon if you want to make a cup of solution.