Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easy to get thorns out

Posted by canadian_rose zone 3a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 15:57

So as I was uncovering my roses in the garage, I managed to get a thorn deeply imbedded in my finger. I couldn't even pick at it. Too deep. So I remembered seeing something on the internet - home remedies for stuff (or something like that). So I tried (with a lot of skepticism) what they said. It worked within 3 seconds. I kid you not!!

So you just mix up a paste (I didn't make it very thick) of baking soda powder and water. Put some on the finger, and the thorn just POPPED out. Absolutely no pain.

Try this next time you get a thorn!!!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easy to get thorns out

Wonder if that works on splinters. Thanks for sharing!

o

I imagine it would work on splinters.
Painless and quick!! Almost want to get a thorn to try it again. LOL
Carol

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 18:31

Thank you Carol for sharing this tip. I am clipping this post for future reference.

o

You're welcome! Hope it helps a lot of us gardeners. :)
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 19:13

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

o

Welcome, Seil!
It's snowing here. Sigh.

o

Carol -Thanks for letting us know, sounds like a great solution for a thorn.

I hope spring comes soon for you, and everyone who's had more than their share of winter!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 6:22

o

Thanks Sara-Ann.
Sigh - it's STILL snowing. MAKE IT STOP!!!!! :)
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:56

Yeah, we got snow too....:(

o

Thank you so much, Carol. Oh, the thorns really love me, yes they do.

o

Just yesterday we saw that online presented as a remedy for removing splinters from squeamish children... tried it on our near-phobic daughter, but alas she got scared that it might hurt and we had to wipe the paste off within just a few seconds. :/

o

Thanks Carol. I just got one in the back if my right hand in between two big veins. I cannot do anything with my left hand and am afraid I may bag the veins. ,going to try this ASAP..

o

Let us know Susan how it works for you. Good luck!!

Oh too bad redwolf. Maybe you could play paint with the white stuff. Paint a happy face on your hand. Make it "talk" etc. Then paint one on her hand. Don't make any notice of the splinter. In fact do a face on each of your hands and each of hers (starting with the nonsplintered hand). You could maybe even put in some food coloring in it so that it doesn't look white - then maybe she won't connect it with the first white stuff. Hope you can get it out this way for her. :)

Redribbons - yes make sure you have baking soda for the thorns.

Seil - it's STILL snowing. :(
Carol

o

Is it baking powder or soda, or both together?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here