Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennyhal2

Shoots from below graft point

pennyhal2
10 years ago

I finally have been able to plant some roses after having to remove some after redoing a fence. So I'm glad to be back to growing them again!

Peace has been sprouting strong, vigorus, fast growing shoots from below the graft point. Is there a way to stop this? Or do I just have to keep pruning them off?

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think you just have to accept that that is bad news -- and go out and buy a new Peace. Probably all you are growing is Dr. Huey rootstock.

Kate

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Keep them cut off as much as possible. The root stock will have a different looking cane that Peace and as long as you still have canes that look like Peace above the graft growing you still have the rose that you want to grow. If the root stock is allowed to grow big canes and your grafted on top Peace is still alive the root stock will allow the grafted rose to die when it has enough canes to feed itself.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

How long have these plants been in the ground? Where did you purchase them?

If you are sure that these are grafted, dig down and find the base of these new canes where they are emerging from the graft union. Cut them off at the base, and try to scrape off as much of the remaining canes as possible. You might be able to save Peace, but if there are too many of these new canes, it might be too late.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

While you are dealing with trying to get rid of the root stock suckers (I would follow diane's advice), what I would do is take one or two cuttings of what you know is Peace (you may have to wait to get large enough ones), and root them. Then you can have own root Peace plants, and won't have to worry about the stupid suckers.

I had a very old (we are guessing planted in the late 1940s) Peace that finally died, and I was not paying attention. I just made it in time - I was able to get one of the last bits of it that were still alive.That cutting rooted, and has come up in its pot (looking exactly like Peace). My DH has built its very own raised bed for it - I am just waiting for this constant rain to stop (I am NOT complaining about the rain - I am hoping it will go on for one or two more months!) before planting it. They say that Peace has "declined in commerce", so I am glad to have this clone of a very old one.

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It is better to pull the suckers than to prune them out. They come back quickly if you cut them, but mostly don't come back if you pull. Wear a heavy, heavy glove and pull back and forth and back and forth. You might have to loosen the soil a bit (carefully!)--that helps to get the whole sucker out.

• pennyhal2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info!

This plant is 2 1/2 years old. I bought it at a nursery called Rogers Garden. It is a very reliable nursery. It is easy to tell the root sprouts from Peace's. Think I'll try rooting a piece of Peace and see how that goes!

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

It isn't the fault of the nursery, some plants just do this. I have a love song that I am dealing witht the same issue on. It threw up a sucker last summer I didn't notice until this spring when it threw up several more. Thankfully it appears I avoided any permanent damage.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County