Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wahhh! My Climbers

Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 16:40

I've been very lucky for the last 15 years, but his year I've had to cut Altisimo, the New Dawn, the Alcymist. Sally Holmes, Golden Wings and Alhoa to the ground. The New Dawn was climbing over my back wall--- gone. Hopefully, they will spring from the ground again. All but the Alcymist should bloom this year, but in much reduced grandeur.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wahhh! My Climbers

I feel your pain. I have some serious concerns for my Constance Spry.

o

Been there, done that. Now I mostly just Explore.

o

I hope they come back. I wish I could grow a pretty New Dawn but it's too warm here.

o

I live in NY and this winter was brutal. Thinking about the windchills, I was wondering how anything can survive those winds...

o

I feel your pain also. My climbers look terrible so far.

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 18:08

Mad Gallica,

You made me laugh--- Explore indeed. I, of course, thought I lived a charmed life in a little, warm, micro-climate. We shall see what my newly-minted climbers look like as bushes for the year :-)

Steve

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 18:49

I'm in pretty much the same boat with all of my roses in the ground. And my poor baby Candy Land climber will spend another year short as a dwarf. This would have been it's 4th season and I was really hoping it would take off and do some climbing but I'm going to have to cut it down to about 3 or 4 inches.

o

How about new climbers in the ground? I just put down climbing Peace, but it still looks like a little skeleton with a few pink fingers here and there.. Should I expect any vertical growth anytime soon? Been in the ground about three weeks, since early April.

o

I have to admit that my climbing Westerland surprised me with very little winter die back. I had considerable damage to my HT's despite at leasr 2' of snow cover from the second week of January. Some are dead to the soil line.

The fact that Westerland was alive pretty much to the 6' I left on last fall is surprising. I never considered Westerland as a particularly hardy rose.

Let's hope all of you northerners experience some serious basal growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here