Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing roses up my garage or no?

Posted by photogirl11 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 16:43

Hey there, I have not grown roses before but wondered if you think it would be a good idea to grow climbing roses up the side of my garage. The roof drips there and I do t know if that would damage them. (No gutter) also I wondered how long it takes for them to grow up the wall? I want it covered and cottage like but don't even know how to attach to the brick? I would be replacing these hedges with them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing roses up my garage or no?

I'm a newbie gardener, however I've seen tons of photos of climbing roses surrounding doorways and such. Don't take my word for it, but so long as you have adequate sun and enough water (and not too much), you should be fine. Again--I'm a newbie, but I'm assuming if the conditions are right, then you could pull it off beautifully. (Found the pic below online.)

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:25

Just my opinion, but if you haven't grown roses before, growing a climber up over part of your house and have it look like Christy's photo is like learning to drive by entering the Daytona 500. There's some skill and practice involved in trellising and pruning to get that beautiful look.

Best to try a few roses first, learn about them, and get a feel for what they do in your area. You have no information as to your location--your selection needs to be based on your climate.

o

Hoovb: Great analogy--and true! Lol. Even so, you must admit these roses are gorgeous.

@photogirl11: I hope I didn't mislead you in any way. I'm sure it's doable, but as Hoovb mentioned, a lot of work and skill, no doubt.

Good luck.

This post was edited by christy51274 on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here