Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting bare root roses tomorrow..soil prep?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 16:45

I'm ready to plant barefoot roses tomorrow, I just need to prep the soil. I have organic amendments I can use, but wondering if there's any possibility of burning the roots? I have greensand, and alfalfa meal, no compost. I have Planttone not Rosetone or Fish/Seaweed Emulsion. Or should I just plant in native soil and top dress later after they've started growing? I could also add a layer of compost as a mulch later. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting bare root roses tomorrow..soil prep?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 17:49

Native soil with top dressing. The more extensively you can loosen the soil (wide, not too deep) the better.

As amendments in the soil break down, that decomposition requires oxygen. Roots require oxygen, not just soil and water. If there is too much amendment decomposing, the roots are robbed of the oxygen they need. Loosening the soil creates tiny air pockets, and the roots can grow more easily (and have the oxygen they need).

Ideal soil has only 1-2% organic content!

o
RE: Planting bare root roses tomorrow..soil prep?

Thanks for that explanation. That was the problem I was anticipating, but just double checking. Loose soil and Top dressing it is!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here