Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardiness of Teas in Zone 7 or Colder

Posted by claire25 MD 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 16:48

Hi all,

I am wondering on the advisability of growing a tea rose in a container outdoors in zone 7. The rose in question is 'Arcadia Louisiana Tea'. I would be growing it in a half-whiskey-barrel in a sheltered location (south-east side of my house, at the edge of an asphalt driveway).

I've heard that container growing roses requires one to subtract an additional zone of hardiness, and since I understand most teas to only be hardy to zone 7 I think it might get too cold here for it. But, I wonder if it might be hardier than I think? Plus, I could always wheel it into the garage (which it would be right next to) if temps got really bitter (sub-freezing). I would greatly appreciate any comments--I love this rose, but I am rapidly running out of rose-friendly real estate in my yard, in-ground.

Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardiness of Teas in Zone 7 or Colder

I have it and I'm in zone 7. It doesn't get any real winter damage.

However, this rose may be SP this year. As DH said, it should be named Miss Molly because it sure likes to ball. half of the blooms are moldy and never open. I'd rethink it.

o

Hmm...thanks for the tip!! I've never grown a tea before and thought this one would be a lovely one to try. Can you recommend one for me that might do better? I'm most interested in fragrance, but I actually really like the "droopy" look a lot of teas have, too. :)

Claire

o

Mrs BR Cant, Georgetown Tea, Duchess de Brabant, Safrano, Lady Hillingdon, Mme Berkeley and many others can be grown w/o much problems in MD (zone 6b) based on my personal experience. Cochet family Teas did not do well for me. All Teas get BS here much more than when they are grown in warmer climates. So don't expect them to be healthy w/o spraying. Otherwise they are great. My Mrs BR Cant is probaby 8x8 feet now and LH was even bigger before RRD got it.
Olga

o

Thank you very much Olga. I will check those out, and I appreciate the blackspot warning, too. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here