Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizzylizzy415

Burgundy Iceberg with blackspot

dizzylizzy 7b
9 years ago

Hi everyone, and happy holidays! We could not have a more beautiful spring day today here in Birmingham, Alabama. I have a question. My hybrid teas and grandifloras which I planted in March are all doing well right now, no blackspot, but I just bought a Burgundy Iceberg last week, and it has suffered terribly with blackspot. Right now, it is on my deck in the container that I bought it in. My plan was to grow it in a large pot on my deck. I heard that Iceberg did well as a potted rose and I also heard that it had good disease resistance. Yet it is worse off than the roses I thought would give me more trouble. Do you think that the problem is that it is still in its original container from the nursery? My deck gets only about 4 hours of hard sun, but I also heard Iceberg would be ok with that. Any ideas???

Comments (6)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I had Burgundy Iceberg for about four years without a problem and then it suddenly developed really severe blackspot and it's no longer with me since it also gave blackspot to several of the roses around it. I don't know whether this rose has suddenly become susceptible to blackspot, but it might be a good idea to keep it away from other roses and see whether it recovers. I never use poisons so I don't keep a rose when it has problems that it doesn't seem to recover from.

• jaxondel
    9 years ago

I understand that 'Iceberg' is so widely grown in parts of CA that it has become ubiquitous/boring/yawn-inducing to the point of being virtually invisible. The same is probably true (or no doubt will be) of its more colorful sports.

In most U.S. locales outside of CA, 'Iceberg' (original, Pink and Bugundy) is an unmitigated disaster -- a BS magnet like no other.

'Iceberg' in Alabama? How often do you spray?

Whatever your answer, it's apparently not enough.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I potted it up today in a very large pot and sprayed it with Bonide Rose Rx 3 in 1 ready to use spray which is supposedly organic. Has anyone used this product? I do not like to use chemicals, and for my hybrid tea rose bed I only use a dormant copper spray. So far no problems there. This rose is not near any others, so I guess I can wait and see. I hate to throw it out since I just bought it, and it is full of buds, but if this bs doesn't get better, it will be a gonner.

• socks
    9 years ago

I planted 6 burgundy icebergs a couple weeks ago! I wanted the bushes for color and ease of maintenance. I noticed a lot of mildew but no blackspot. (Rarely have it anyway.) Since workers brought and planted them, I'm not sure if they came with the mildew or they got it after planting here. Anyway, I'm looking forward to having them in the yard. Dizzy, I hope yours does well too. Any chance you can shift it's position to get more sun each day? Should be pretty on the deck.

Jaxondel--yes, white icebergs are everywhere, but I would never call them boring. They are all blooming their hearts' out now, so pretty. But I got the burgundy because we have so many whites around. The pink is pretty too though.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Socks,
    I can move the plant around (morning sun on right side of deck and afternoon sun left) if I can just be diligent about it. I am hopeful. Hope you get the mildew under control.

• trospero
    9 years ago

I never met an 'Iceberg' that didn't Blackspot badly. It has a lot to do with climate, of course....

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler