Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

2013 Rose Awards (from us)

harmonyp
10 years ago

There are certain roses really standing out to me this year. Thought it might be fun to start a Rose Awards thread. Category - make up whatever you think your favorite roses fit in. For me so far:

Award: Best Bush 2013
Rose: Ingrid Bergman
Reason: Big deep red blooms stay forever and don't wash out. And the foliage is some of the darkest, healthiest green I've evern seen

Award: Most Exciting Color 2013
Rose: Koko Loco
Reason: How did someone create a lavendar hued milk chocolate rose bush with perfect HT bloom form. It's LUSCIOUS

Award: Best Fragrance 2013
Rose: Sharifa Asma
Reason: I definitely get the David Austin alure. They are some of the most fragrant roses I've ever sniffed. Sharifa Asma is stellar

Comments (57)

• andreark
    10 years ago

The second is a 5th day bloom

ak

• andreark
    10 years ago

THis is a 7th day bloom...This rose looks great up to 9 days.

ak

• andreark
    10 years ago

Here she is with her siblings.

ak

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Most floriferous over a long period: Valentine
    Most beautiful color: Oklahoma or Frances Dubreuil (Barcelona) love those really dark reds!
    Worst thorns: Radio Times
    Classic flower form: Oklahoma, Tiffany, American Beauty (Ulrich Brunner)
    Most fragrant: a five-way tie between Oklahoma, Frances Dubreuil, American Beauty, Tiffany, and Madame Isaac Perrier (I go back and forth - just can't decide)
    Best single: Else Poulsen
    Best bush form: Ducher
    Most likely to get SP'd: Sharifa Asma (if these two don't shape up and get healthy and bloom more)
    Most likely to be here in a hundred years: Mrs. Dudley Cross
    Healthiest: Archduke Charles
    Sentimental favorite/longest in my garden: Tiffany

• leezen4u
    10 years ago

Best modern bush overall : Mardi Gras - healthiest and always in bloom

Best antique bush overall: Mme. Berkeley

Best fragrance Austins: Tie between Gertrude Jekyll, Jude the Obscure, Jubilee Celebration

Best fragrance HT's: Tie Mr. Lincoln and New Zealand

Most floriferous modern roses: Mardi Gras, Dick Clark, Rainbow Sorbet, Carefree Beauty

Most floriferous antique roses: Reve d' or, Monsieur Tillier, Gruss an Aachen, Mme. Berkeley

Best mini: Rainbow's End

This post was edited by leezen4u on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:31

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Sorry - no pictures - when my computer died I lost all of my pictures. This year I'll save them externally.

Best rose no one's heard of - Royal Kate

Favorite fragrance - Paradise Found and Pink Peace

Best Survivor - Pink Peace - planted with a hair width tiny 1/2" rootlet.

Rose everyone gravitates towards - Mr. Lincoln and Royal Kate

That something extra - Queen of Sweden. Blooms look like a cup and saucer at an exquisite rose party.

Only nonfragrant rose I ever want to have - Gemini

That was fun!
    Carol

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

This is fun!
    Best Repeat Bloomer--Angel Face

Best All Around Rose--Ingrid Bergman

Best Austin Rose--Symphony

Most Unusual Color--tie between Honey Dijon, Koko Loco, and Priscilla Burton

Most Perfect Opening Buds--Gemini

Worst Looking Bush--Joshua Bradley

Best Repeat Blooming Austin--Christopher Marlowe

Best Bi-color--tie between Chicago Peace and Hot Romance

Best Purple Rose--Ebb Tide (yup)

Best Mini--Bronze Kordana

Best New Rose--Love Song

Longest Lasting Blooms--St. Patrick

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Best comeback Kid- Jude the Obscure

Ah this poor plant never seemed to prosper. Fair Bianca was outgrowing him. Finally, all the canes faded away and I felt sure that Dr. Huey would " follow hard upon" as Shakespeare would say. But I forgot all about poor Jude and turned my attention to other things. I didn't re buy the obscure one from DA because I didn't want another weak plant at that price. 2 years later I am thinking " what's this odd colored Charlotte?" coming from a thin cane hanging low to the ground looking for some light. Hey it smells great! And that's when I remembered poor old Jude. I placed an order for an own root and tied the wispy Jude to a stick.

The next year he grew into the sun and didn't flower. He just seemed happy to be alive. Suddenly last fall, he made 2 new canes that shot up straight and tall. Luckily these missed the neighbors round up attack on my Kathryn Morley and my Alan Titmarch. A bit of Charlotte got hit too and Jude would have been toast if he was there. This spring the oldest cane branched into a big bouquet of stunning Jude blossoms and cane #4 is starting from the base. The own root Jude is doing fine and I am happy to have 2 of them doing well. But I have a soft spot for the first one who wanted to live and I'm glad that I never dug out the roots to plant something else instead.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Best first-blooming favorite: Pompon de Paris, Cl. She's always so gorgeous and in full bloom so noticeably ahead of most of my roses.

Purezza is blooming too, and is so great for a white, but PdP is the standout this time of year. I'll try to get a pic!

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Here are mine:

Best scent: Evelyn, Sombrieul

Biggest disappointment: mystery rose from Rogue Valley turns out to be Dr. Huey. Not sure how this happened since they don't list that rose and don't sell grafted (do they?). I just don't have room for it and it mildews terribly. It will be out in the fall.

Most charming: La Sylphide. She winds her way thru the bed in a most subtle way.

Prettiest purple: Ebb Tide. But, I don't have many purples. Also, great scent.

My favorite: Mdm Joseph Schwartz

Rose that keeps me guessing: Tipsey Imperial Concubine

My most underappreciated (due to location): Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux. This is a great rose!

Worst Austin I've planted here: Golden Celebration, The Pilgrim, Young Lycidas. The list is long.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

This is fun!
    Best colour - Twilight zone

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Longest lasting - This no id lavender rose. It lasts a week in a vase and over two weeks on the bush.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

In the garden

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Best fragrance- Distant Drums

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Strongest fragrance- another no id rose. Makes the whole garden smell like cinnamon gum.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Tallest rose - Yet another no id rose. Really need done ids lol. So far 16 feet tall.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Tallest rose - Yet another no id rose. Really need done ids lol. So far 16 feet tall.

{{!gwi}}

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

I don't have a lot of roses but my favorite so far is
    Cinco De Mayo- thick clean bronzy foliage, very long flowering, indescribable and gorgeous color

Shockwave- great yellow- no blackspot

Fantin Latour - favorite and thornless climber

I do like my Knockouts even if they are ubiquitous. Here they bloom from May til November

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Sorry misnamed the climber. It's Zepherine Drouin

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I forget the "Rose Genius award", which goes to Kim Rupert's Annie Laurie McDowell rose, which is 100% thornless, superb disease resistant, blooms tons, and smells heavenly like lavender and lilac.

Annie L. McDowell is a genius since it survived my zone 5a winter, buried 4" deep as an own-root. It's also great with a calming scent.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

This year, all of them get an award!
    {{gwi:249660}}

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

kittymoonbeam, I love your Jude story. Lou

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh come on hoov!!!! So unfair!! :) Makes me want to give up on growing roses here in this cold wasteland. LOL

Gorgeous!!!!!

Strawberryhill - that Annie roses is scrumptious!!
    Carol

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Most Diseased: SdlM

Bestest Smeller- Liv Tyler
    {{gwi:255896}}

Most Thripy- Moonstone & Sugar Moon
    This isn't a bad picture of Moonstone
    {{gwi:255897}}

First Bloomer- Easy Does It
    Technically, several plants never stopped blooming, but the first picture I took of the new year was of this one, so she wins!
    {{gwi:255898}}

Best Cool Weather Bloomer: Koko Loco
    {{gwi:255899}}

Most Impressive New Rose: WWII Memorial
    {{gwi:255900}}

Most Complimented: Cherry Parfait
    {{gwi:255901}}

Favorite Accidental New Rose Purchase: I don't know what this is. It was supposed to be Liv Tyler, but it seems darker. Anywho, sure smells good.
    {{gwi:255902}}

Most Improved: Spiced Coffee
    Last year it was a little stick of nothing, and this year it's 5 feet tall and bushy!
    {{gwi:255904}}

Favorite Yellow: Eternal Flame
    {{gwi:255905}}

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Brittie, for those great shots ... I love Eternal Flame & sugar Moon. I have Liv Tyler, but I can't stand the apricot scent since it makes me sneeze. I'm allergic to open-pollen type of roses. It's not bad with many petals like Austins where the pollens are not exposed.

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Hoovb and Brittie, thanks for the wonderful pics!

My best one so far is Blush Noisette. I pruned it to the ground this spring (own roots) and here's what it looks like 2 months later. It's never bloomed like this before, and really surprised me!

Belinda's Dream, Old Blush and Carefree Beauty are going strong, too, but not like BN.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Wow Hoovb, I was looking for the "like" button on my screen! Are you giving tours?

My 2nd worst rose this year was my best last year, Abe Darby, poor thing started leafing out for spring in the fall and has an incredible case of rust. He is going to find him self in a new location shortly (one that is not so warm)

My worst winner is a self rooted baby of "Simplicity" that I moved to a better location and is now a hard to tell that it is a live rose, between the mildew and the rust it looks BAD.

Best today would be a multiway tie. Belinda's Dream put up several candelabras. Crocus is covered in happy little blooms. Munstead Wood is small and gets lost by the broccoli but is covered in blooms. And Darcey Bussell has blooms galore and candelabras to come.

Last years Bands Grandmothers Hat and Reine des Violettes are busy filling their spots RdV a bit on the golden side is still much bigger than GH, but I think she will win shortly

The Reaching for the Stars award goes to James Galoway who has sent one FAT cane reaching up to moms tall bedroom window. Looking forward to more like that.

Happiest band in the ground is also a tie. Renae has gone from a kind of sad looking bad to a very happy baby climber and the Marie Pavies are happy in their beds too.

The one cane wonder wonder goes to Neptune (mine from last season) who I was advice to remove since it should be happy and was down to one cane. It has put out a second massive cane and is now...a two cane wonder.

And the rascal award goes to Doc Huey who wants to pop up from my gifted roses from the neighbor.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Brittie, that looks right for 'Liv Tyler', mine will often be that color.

Rose awards to all those beautiful photos from everyone!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Most Likely to be used as Insect Bait--"Climbing Peace"
    It's busting out huge blooms on long stems and it is covered with every insect and disease known (to my mind) as rose plague.
    I cannot wait to plunder the blooms and get that sucker OUTTA HERE.
    The thorns are horrific too. Grrrr.....
    Sad to think how our love affair began at Lowes last year. She was near death, beat down...I took a chance. Even I had heard of this rose. How could I let a rose named "Peace" die?
    I cherished her fragrant blooms in May and she was completely defoliated by August.
    Au Revoir Peace! You are a living Ortho guidebook and posterchild for every vile chemical ever created.
    Susan

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Best Rose Ever, All Categories: Gruss an Aachen (including Pink GaA and (certainly) Climbing GaA.

• prickles
    10 years ago

best fragrance--Magnificent Perfume
    best austin--Young Lycidas
    best overall bush--Lady Emma Hamilton
    best spring flush--Eden

• elizabethfaye
    10 years ago

Best all around:Queen Nefertiti. It's so good, it"s the only rose I have two of.
    Best Pink: Sweet Juliet. Beautiful shrub in the garden, constant blooms.
    Best Fragrance: Munstead Wood. I can smell this rose if I'm 2 feet away. Also, has beautiful color if you give it lots of water.

• elizabethfaye
    10 years ago

Prickles, You listed Young Lycidas as your best Austin. I had previously posted a pic of it in and Laying on the ground. I'm in central Ca, and this is the first year in the ground. Will it mature out of this? Here is the first flush this year, it's in bud again now, so don't know if it will lay down again or not.
    Thanks

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My Young Lycidas is still rather floppy, but getting better I think.

I picked 2 roses off him at the end of the day, still incredible scent and beautiful rose.

• prickles
    10 years ago

@Elizabeth
    Mine is currently on his second flush too. I love him--always healthy (never mildews; never rusts) and always a generous bloomer.
    Yes, the wire-thin stems on YL will thicken slightly with maturity, but I'm afraid his growth habit is a floppy mess! I grow him in a large pot and peg him.

It's the weight and size and the numbers of blooms (I will go ahead by adding his fragrance to the list of causes) that bend the bush down--more so during his spring and fall flushes.

• prickles
    10 years ago

@Kippy
    Yes, Young Lycidas gets less floppy with time, but still floppy I fear.

I picked three blooms off of him on Thurs and they are holding up beautifully still--the strong damask fragrance is deliciously sweet and fresh. As I am writing this right now I can still smell them (at 10: 26pm on my nightstand next to a hot pot of herbal tea) which helps the fragrance to waft. How long does YL last for you as a cut flower?

• mori1
    10 years ago

hoovb ,

I showed my roses that picture and they were not amused.

• prairielaura
    10 years ago

Oh Mori that's hilarious, and i SO relate to your feelings!
    To which MY roses replied in a haughty manner, "Well, if we had Hoovb taking care of us..."

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Hoovb....what a feast for the eyes!

I was born and spent most of my life in Southern CA, and have been gardening challenged here in this desert for 13 years now. In some parts of California, I believe roses have the ability to become the plants that they did not know they could be. With no exaggeration, I have seen rose blooms the size of saucers there.... And the fragrance.......OMG!!

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    10 years ago

I see this thread was started in late April in California. Well, April is just a little early to rate any roses up here in Canada. But this is it, the spring flush is happening in my garden now and the past few days have been a wonderful treat of new blooms and a lush garden entering its peak season. So here they are, some Eastern Canadian rose picks:

Treasure Trail - winner of the "best band ever imported", the "most vigorous own root band"; and the, "there's nothing else quite like this rose" awards

{{gwi:255906}}

Saint Cecilia; This bloom opened this morning and hands down wins the "most beautiful fragrance in the garden to date award". She also wins the "best shrub in my cold climate garden award"; and I think perhaps she also receives the "most perfect classic bloom award" this year"

{{gwi:255907}}

The Alexandra Rose gets the "most whimsical single bloom award', as well as "best single rose in the garden award"

{{gwi:255908}}

Morden Sunrise gets the "cheerful and sunny blooms award"

{{gwi:255909}}

Crown Princess Margareta gets the "wow factor and bloom'in fool award":

{{gwi:255910}}

Kronprinsesse Mary Castle gets the "rare treasure that I can't afford to loose award". I don't think this rose is in commerce in North America anymore, a great pitty.

{{gwi:255911}}

{{gwi:255912}}

Munstead Wood gets the " I'm amazed, it lives up to the hype award";

{{gwi:255913}}

And finally, all of my wonderful roses get the "you give me great joy award!!"

{{gwi:255914}}

What a great thread!! Thank you for starting it Harmony.

Cheers: RRL aka Rick

• elizabethfaye
    10 years ago

Kippy & Prickles, thanks so much for the info on Young Lycidas. If I remember correctly, I cut a large bouquet for my daughter(she loves purple) and they lasted at least a week. For me, Munstead Wood has a much stronger fragrance than YL and thery're right next to each other so can really evaluate them. Still, over all I love Queen Nefertiti....she just glows.
    Hoovb, I love your garden.

• blocke19
    10 years ago

HoovB, that is gorgeous! What roses do you have pictured there, especially the peach colored one in the center of the photo? That's my kinda house!!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

OK, now that my spring flush is over and things are getting ready for flush #2, Here are the tops in my garden this year so far. Most blooms; "Zephy" When I hit 200, I stopped counting with three more branch's covered. Best all around bush and bloom; "Dark Night", "Crystalline" and "Abraham Darby". Beautiful foliage top to bottom. Tons of perfect, breath taking blooms. Best fragrance; "Munstead Wood" and "Abraham Darby". Most liked by my neighbors; "Peace" and "Souv. de la Malmaison". Best all around mini/miniflora; "Joy", "Glowing Amber" and "Regina Lee'. The mini all the neighbors and guest's go to; "Glowing Amber". This was very hard this year because I had a VERY good spring flush.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

rideau

Impressive pic's. love your morden sunrise....I fell in love with that one this year......

Impressive all...you all make me rose envious..

SCG

• socks
    10 years ago

Best picture: Fame (blossoms stay on the bush for weeks and even if faded they add color to the garden)

Best actor in a leading role: Mellow Yellow (planted front and center, always blooming, "look at me" kind of bush)

Best actress in a leading role: Julia Child (love those bright yellow blooms, bushy bush)

Best actress in a supporting role: Betty Boop (blooms and blooms, never has any issues with mildew, no need to deadhead)

Best actor in a supporting role: Christopher Marlowe (just a small bush, blooms regularly, trouble free)

Best visual effects: Gourmet Popcorn (a mini which really does look like popcorn)

Best foreign language: Yves Piaget (love the blooms on this bush, but sadly, a tree is shading it and it suffers mildew but blooms on)

Best visual effects: Dark Lady (love the blooms, but another mildew magnet)

Lifetime achievement: Snowfire (has been in place well over 30 years in a difficult, hot location. It carries on year after year.)

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Straw - what a STUNNING picture!!!! Soooo gorgeous!!!

This is a great thread!

Most Continuous Bloomer - Chartreuse de Parme

Most Prone to Mildew - Canadian Sunset

Only Red that Does Well For Me - Lasting Love - smells great too!

Best Austin - Bishop's Castle

Floppy No More - Queen of Elegance...new this year and blooms went from weak necked to really pretty and erect

Most Improved - Maria Callas (Miss All American Beauty) - black spotted mess no flowers (new this year)...no black spot and tons of buds

Favorite Rose: - Chartreuse de Parme

Best Fragrance - Chandos Beauty (for some reason didn't do that well for me this year)

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Most thorny: Orchid romance (1st pic), Princess Anne (2nd), Radio times (3rd pink), Munstead Wood, and yellow Strike it Rich. I put both Strike it Rich and Orchid Romance right next to my large windows to prevent break-in. All have fantastic scents except for Princess Anne (very light scent).

Carol: Agree that it's a fun and informative thread. Love to hear about your roses.
    Below is Orchid Romance: scent is just as good as Radio Times.

Below is Princess Anne. Very light scent & my own-root shot up to 4 feet tall in 2nd flush.

Below is Radio Times. Constant bloomer as 10-year-own-root in partial shade.

Below is Munstead Wood. My own-root has more leaves & bushier than the rose park's grafted-on-Dr.Huey.

Below own-root Strike it Rich prefers alkaline soil with its dark-green foliage. Scent is weird fruity.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Straw - that struck me as funny to have these thorny beasts next to your window!! But, it's not really funny...but effective!! Good idea! :)

Man, I love your Radio Times!! The flowers are really amazing! Your Princess Anne has such a lovely color and so many blooms! :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Carol: I copy-past my info. into a new thread "2020 Rose Awards (from us)". It's more appropriate to post my current roses in the 2020 Rose Awards thread. Would love to see your fantastic pics. in below thread. You have so many unique roses !!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5999234/2020-rose-awards-from-us