Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Beetles

Posted by BobMixon none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:22

Greetings All,

I have been having a lot of problems with beetles in my white roses. I used Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer but they come back, in forces, every night.

Any suggestions on what I can use to get rid of them permanently?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Beetles

My idea would be to stop killing them because you are also killing the predators that eat them.

o

Use a strong spray of water to wash them off the canes and buds. Soon, predators will appear and finish off the job.

By "beetles," do you mean "aphids"--which are commonly plaguing roses about this time of the year?

Kate

o

Bob - can you post a picture of the beetles? Where are you geographically? I ask because different critters live in different places. Here on the West Coast we have a horrid one called "rose curculio beetles". They are the size and color of ladybugs, except they have long black snouts.

In other places, they have Japanese beetles which eat roses, which are much bigger. To help, we need to find out what kind of beetles or bugs you are talking about.

Jackie

o

This is not the time of year for beetles in most of the country. In CT I never sprayed because it didn't work and I didn't want to kill the honey bees. Here in Pasadena right now we have no beetles so I wonder what you are talking about. Perhaps you could describe these beetles.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:49

Without a picture of the insect in question there is no way to correctly ID it. Without a positive ID there is no way we can tell you how to deal with it.

Do not just use insect spray without knowing what insect you have. You may be wasting your time and money on a product not meant for the problem at hand. And you may be killing your predators as others have said. That will only lead to a greater problem down the road.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here