Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Rose Bush Savable????

Posted by christy51274 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:25

I bought a bare root plant from Home Depot. To be specific, it's a Climbing Blaze. I've noticed some black on the canes. At first I cut them back to about an inch or so below the discoloration. Now, it's come back (or just never went away).

Based on the pics below, is this plant still savable? If not, I'll just get a potted rose bush at a local nursery. I purchased a Cecille Brunner climber and from a local organic nursery and it's growing beautifully (could be because it was more established? Not sure.)

If I pull the plant and replant it with a new one, are there any steps I should take to prevent the same from happening to the new plant?

(I know I've been posting prolifically on these forums, but I really need advice/suggestions.)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Rose Bush Savable????

Another pic...

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:34

It doesn't look so bad and is definitely savable. Cut off the black canes and from your pictures I think that will leave you with at least 3 good sized green ones.

Climbers take a lot of patience. It may be 3 to 5 years before it really starts to climb.

o

I think the black canes are from cold damage. It could have happened at the store or at your home. You mention 2 varieties so the 2nd one may have been more resistant to the cold or you got it later when temps were warmer.

Definitely cut them off, otherwise it seems to travel down the cane and make the entire cane go bad. Some say about 1" below the black part to where you have a healthy stem (inside the stem should look healthy also).

I had this happen this year, before knowing about the frost damage. My bare-root had about 6 canes coming out and I thought I had chosen such a good one, compared to the others that were in the store. But then I lost 4 of them before understanding what this is.

So I was down to 2 canes but like many plants, as long as the roots or crown are good, then your plant will return just fine -- in some cases, even better.

I also had another different variety already established in my yard, so while I had roses growing outdoors for many years, I had not experienced this kind of frost damage, so it was new to me. It could also be, as you said, one that is more established already.

o

cold damage or canker? either way, cut it down. when i was new to roses i thought cold damage was canker and fungicided after i pruned. turns out it was winter kill . because i cut back, they lived

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here