Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it dead?

Posted by RachaelLemmon 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 17:32

I have a dbl knockout standard for 4 yrs now, but this past winter knocked it out. I have 4 canes alive but my question is , is the rest dead? Ive pruned off the obvious to me but im hardly a novice.help please, ive lost 3 shrubs for sure this winter , hope this one isnt a goner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it dead?

Heres another shot

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 17:50

I would wait a bit and see what decided to start growing and where. It's easier to tell then what to take off. Just because a cane is a darker color doesn't mean it's dead. As canes age the do get darker and more barky naturally. There may be more alive there than you think.

o

uh oh.. I think I see at least one good cane and maybe up to 3. Tree roses are a little tough to grow in your zone, I would think. I would start with the very dark black or brown canes and start cutting back the tips in 2-3" increments, until you get creamy white pith (inside)and cut to a swelling about 1/4 in. above. Good luck! I think tree roses (standards) are a challenge. wishing you very good luck!

o

Seil is always pretty much on the 'know'.

o

Ive never asked a question seil or someone couldnt answer, thats why i come here to learn. I did keep trimming further and further but at a point i decided it was way more than i wanted and just stopped. Im no good with feeling positive about a cane being old or dead. The pith is white but the cambium is tan, not green.. or where there is green under the bark, it looks very dry. So i stopped cutting. I hope im not stuck with only those 4 new gangly canes from last summer...id never be able to train it back to its former glory. Fingers crossed in upstate :) thanks to all.

o

yes charleney, ive had great luck with this standard. I bundle the graft but have never dug it out. I wrap everything above dr huey.. and hes as green as can be right now.lol. this winter was just brutally cold up here in the mountains. Ill hope for the best . Even though its just a knockout , i really do love it. Say a little prayer for her !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here