Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do my Judy Garland blooms look washed out this year?

Posted by Jbradshaw777 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 17:33

Anybody have experience with Judy Garland (of the Floribunda family I think)? Last year it gave me the most gorgeous roses I have even seen. A blend of yellow and orange, the color was deep and brilliant. This year, however, all the flowers look washed out and do not have the brilliance that I saw last year. They just look pretty crappy right now.

Anybody know what might be the reasons?
Two factors I can think of:
1. It bloomed a whole month earlier than it did last year, due to the warmer weather.
2. I used Bayer, the 3-in-1 kind, this year. It appears to have helped the bush grow. The bush has more buds than last year. Would this pesticide/fertilizer combo affect the pigment in the flowers and somehow make the flowers look so crappy?

Really like to see that wonderful orange color again on my roses. Any help will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do my Judy Garland blooms look washed out this year?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 19:26

I doubt that the Bayer had any effect on the color. Most probably it's due to a difference in the weather. Temperatures and amount of sunlight can have a big effect on rose colors. If they're blooming a month earlier than last year then the sun is a month lower in the sky and they aren't getting as much sunlight.

o

Thanks! I did notice several rose bushes close to where I live have also bloomed early this year, it did not seem to bother them at all. They all look quite brilliant.

I read somewhere that too much growth in leaves and stems (due to too much nitrogen if I recall correctly) can come at the expense of the flowers. I am not sure whether the size or the color of the flowers can be affected this way...

o

Yes, look up the temperatures leading up to the bloom--lots of cool weather before a bud blooms will result in the best colors and largest bloom size. Hot weather will even turn normally double blooms to singles. No, roses need plenty of nitrogen--the best flowers come off of big healthy plants--which is why exhibitors will often have programs that maximize the amount of nitrogen fed to the plant--sometimes feeding the plant every week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here