Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deervssteve

Reine de Violettes

deervssteve
11 years ago

This rose survived 20 years of deer attacks. Really very leggy and canes can barely support the flowers.
Any suggestions on how to improve this or should I just support with stakes?

Comments (13)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Its natural habit would be as an arching shrub -- and you will likely get more bloom, if you allow it to arch.

Jeri

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, do you mean peg it? I've got 20 buds on it now, but it is very top heavy

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

RdV has very flexible canes naturally so you don't need to peg. If left to grow naturally it will fountain out in arches on it's own creating more laterals and blooms. Just keep it protected from the deer if possible. She's a healthy grower and should bounce right back.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Seil's correct.
    Reine des Violettes is a lovely arching shrub all on its own. No need for staking or supporting.

Just keep the deer away from her, and let her do her own thang.

Jeri

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

I think that, at least in my garden, RdV may be happier supported on a tripod. bart

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Bart, I do have some of RdV tied up to a support but that's only to keep her in her allotted space. Otherwise she'd cover all the plants around her. Even the lilac behind her can't compete. She's a lusty grower, lol! And I'm in a cold zone so I'm sure she gets even bigger in warm zones. She is amazingly winter hardy though and I hardly have to prune her at all except to keep her from taking over!

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more blooms
    {{gwi:256375}}

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bloom is almost done. Bush looks like it was stepped onby an elephant.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

Out of curiosity, where did you get your 'Reine des Violettes' rose? I recently got a band of what Heirloom Roses sells under that name, but the rose doesn't match up to what I saw before from another nursery. I posted about it in the link below, on the Antique Roses Forum.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses order received -- ? about 'Reine des Violettes'

• Clinton7719
    11 years ago

Hello AquaEyes. I got my RdV from David Austin Roses out of Texas. The bare root plants that I got was very healthy and I was completely satisfied with my shipment. Hmmm, your picture is somewhat puzzling. My RdV has no thorns at all. It has very smooth branches. What you got could be a diversion of Pius IX but that rose I believe is a dark pink in color, not the beautiful purple hue that RdV has.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

Thanks, Clinton7719, for the input. It's good to know you got a purplish RdV from them.

Deervssteve, do you remember where you got yours? I'm wondering if you also got yours from Heirloom Roses, and if this is the growth habit I should expect from my band. The leaves on yours resemble the leaves on mine, from what I can tell in your pics.

~Christopher

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christopher,

It's been a long time. Most of my roses were purchased from Hortico or Pickering. I also regularly attended the Mother' Day Celebration of old roses in El Cerrito, CA where it's like a farmer's market for old roses.