Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meeshroses

What's the best place to buy roses online?

meeshroses
13 years ago

I'm looking to start a rose garden. I'd love some recommendations on which online companies you'd use for purchasing roses (hybrid tea or similar). I'd also pay for shipment of any cuttings you might have to share.

Thanks so much.

~Michele

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I would think it is too late to plant bare-root roses (which is what many of the online companies sell) in Zone 7. However, Roses Unlimited sends terrific roses in pots, so they might be the best place for you to look. They require a minimum of 3 roses, but it sounds like you are up for that. Roses Unlimited is one of the best sources available.

Those of us who plant bare-roots usually put in our orders months ago and have already planted them.

Have fun with your order.

Kate

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Chamblee's. And if you are a novice in rose gardening start with G. Buck roses.

• olivia23( NC zone 7 )
    13 years ago

I recommend Northland Rosarium. All their roses are own root healthy roses and I have bought from them year after year and they are a top notch company.

The benefit of own root roses is if your rose bush dies back for some reason, it will grow back from its roots the same roses you bought. With grafted roses, if the rose dies back it will grow some ugly rose that is mostly long canes with no roses. I think it's grafted on something called Dr. Huey rose but not sure.

Also Northland Rosarium guarantees their roses to be healthy. Last year I bought two roses. Well one of them was the wrong rose and I did not realize it until it bloomed. I emailed them with the problem and they sent me another right away free of charge. All of the roses I have ordered from them are quite small. If you usually buy from your roses from a store, then you are usually buying grafted roses, and they are already grown and in bloom. Well these are quite small, but don't fret because they grow very fast and I have not had ANY die as of yet. I cannot say the same for my grafted roses. I have had several of my grafted roses infected with rose mosaic virus, and other have died back and started growing whatever the grafted stock rose was, and others just died. I am now only buying own root roses from now on.

• summer_fashion
    13 years ago

I've ordered from Rogue Valley Roses, Vintage, Northland Rosarium, Chamblee's and Rosefire. These are top quality, reputable rose nurseries that send you very healthy own root roses.

• rosesnpots
    13 years ago

I recommend EuroDesert Roses (having a big sale right now), Hartwood Roses, Rogue Valley Roses, and Vintage. I have ordered from all of them.

They all sell own-root roses.

• bethr1957
    13 years ago

Ahhh, you guys are all in love with little bitty bands. I like BIG HT's.

My new best friend is Armstrong, and I have had good luck with Home Depot; you just need to be there when they unload the truck, because they do not care for them well.

Beth

• rosesnpots
    13 years ago

Remember the original poster asked for places to purchase roses online. Band are the way to go because you are not paying to ship dirt. You also need to remember some like Rogue Valley do offer larger plants.

• Debbie A
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is it possible to order online and the plans will be in good condition? Amazon sales rose bush seeds, etc http://www.amazon.com/

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Yes it is Debbie. There are many good companies to order from;

For own root:

Roses Unlimited, Burlington, Northland and Rogue Valley are all good sources. There are others that I'm sure are great, but I only listed the ones I've ordered from. Some other own root companies are: Heirloom, Long Ago Roses, Antique Rose Emporium, Chamblees, and High Country Roses that I can think of.

For bare root:

Edmunds, Regan Nursery, Witherspoon, Rosemania and Palatine. Again, these are the companies I order from, they all ship quality roses.

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    8 years ago

I've had good luck with Regan and Witherspoon and Roses Unlimited. I've had bad luck with Edmunds

• dollfanz
    8 years ago

My top three favs, Nelson's for Fort grafted roses, followed by Regans and Witherspoons. The last 2 in no particular order.

• rose_crazy_da
    8 years ago

I had great first time experience from Palatine this year, I have seen my babies yet but , I hear great stuff about them. Palatine has great customer service awesome. Last Year ordered Two Pretty Jessica from Hortico they were pretty good( pun intended). But so far Pickering nurseries were pretty good ,most my David Austin are from them but alas they have closed..I just check they site ( Pickering ) states they are "We hope to have a small, core selection of rooted cuttings available in the
    spring of 2016."