Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best place to buy roses online?

Posted by meeshroses 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 18:07

I'm looking to start a rose garden. I'd love some recommendations on which online companies you'd use for purchasing roses (hybrid tea or similar). I'd also pay for shipment of any cuttings you might have to share.
Thanks so much.
~Michele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best place to buy roses online?

I would think it is too late to plant bare-root roses (which is what many of the online companies sell) in Zone 7. However, Roses Unlimited sends terrific roses in pots, so they might be the best place for you to look. They require a minimum of 3 roses, but it sounds like you are up for that. Roses Unlimited is one of the best sources available.

Those of us who plant bare-roots usually put in our orders months ago and have already planted them.

Have fun with your order.

Kate

o

Chamblee's. And if you are a novice in rose gardening start with G. Buck roses.

o

I recommend Northland Rosarium. All their roses are own root healthy roses and I have bought from them year after year and they are a top notch company.

The benefit of own root roses is if your rose bush dies back for some reason, it will grow back from its roots the same roses you bought. With grafted roses, if the rose dies back it will grow some ugly rose that is mostly long canes with no roses. I think it's grafted on something called Dr. Huey rose but not sure.

Also Northland Rosarium guarantees their roses to be healthy. Last year I bought two roses. Well one of them was the wrong rose and I did not realize it until it bloomed. I emailed them with the problem and they sent me another right away free of charge. All of the roses I have ordered from them are quite small. If you usually buy from your roses from a store, then you are usually buying grafted roses, and they are already grown and in bloom. Well these are quite small, but don't fret because they grow very fast and I have not had ANY die as of yet. I cannot say the same for my grafted roses. I have had several of my grafted roses infected with rose mosaic virus, and other have died back and started growing whatever the grafted stock rose was, and others just died. I am now only buying own root roses from now on.

o

I've ordered from Rogue Valley Roses, Vintage, Northland Rosarium, Chamblee's and Rosefire. These are top quality, reputable rose nurseries that send you very healthy own root roses.

o

I recommend EuroDesert Roses (having a big sale right now), Hartwood Roses, Rogue Valley Roses, and Vintage. I have ordered from all of them.

They all sell own-root roses.

o

Ahhh, you guys are all in love with little bitty bands. I like BIG HT's.

My new best friend is Armstrong, and I have had good luck with Home Depot; you just need to be there when they unload the truck, because they do not care for them well.

Beth

o

Remember the original poster asked for places to purchase roses online. Band are the way to go because you are not paying to ship dirt. You also need to remember some like Rogue Valley do offer larger plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here