Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep do I plant a bare root rose? Zone 6a?

Posted by wreckitriz none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 18:16

I have 2 fragrant cloud bare root roses and they are temporarily in pots until I can get them in the ground tonight. I soaked them in water last night and oopsed them into too small pots. Hopefully that doesn't damage them. My pots are too shallow and I can only get them as deep as 2 inches above the bud union so I figure ill put them in the ground instead of buying 20$ pots.

I do have 2 pots that my love me tender and tiffany are in. Those 2 are going in the ground tonight and are nursery plants with 1 year in the pots. Would it be better to just put the fragrant clouds in those 2 pots rather than the ground? I could get them 1 inch past the bud union in those.

My zip code is 42223 so I think I am in zone 6a.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep do I plant a bare root rose? Zone 6a?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 19:12

You can plant them right into the ground with no problem. In zone 6 it's suggested that you plant the bud union 4 to 6 inches below the soil. That should give them plenty of winter protection.

o

What state you live in? That zip code is coming up
zone 7A on the hardiness map I used...
If this is so 4"-6" would be too deep...

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 19:58

Agreed, Jim! But you still might want to go a couple of inches below ground for winter assurance.

o

I'm on the tn/ky border and live on fort Campbell, ky. I'm far enough from Nashville (60 miles) to have different weather. I commute to work and it can be cold and sunny in Nashville and snowing at fort Campbell.

o

If (?) this is the zip code (42223) the roses are planted in it's coming up zone 7a on two different hardiness maps.
I'm in zone 5b-6a right on the line so conditions are different here.

You could contact a Rose Society in your area and ask them how deep to plant the bud union in your exact area.
I can only guess...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 20:49

o

Zone 7a it is then! I got confused with micro climates I guess.

o

Yes I have heard of being in one location and the weather being quite different just a few miles away...
Right now here our roses only have swelled buds...
I will be happy to just see leaves come on them...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Societies in your area:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here