Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdameron_gw

New (grandma's yellow) roses are being eaten up

mdameron
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what is attacking my roses and how to stop it? They're a month old and were doing great. I'm finally getting blooms and this happens.

The first several pics are of the roses themselves and up close pics of the damage. You can see bugs on one of the pics, but that is not on the worst plant (pictured first). The final pic is a Belinda's Dream Rose that's also a month old but doesn't look so good. The entire bed gets 8 hours of sun, or more, and the Belinda's Dream Rose is closer to 10.

Thanks so much in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose picture album

Comments (4)

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Well first off they look a little burnt. How much water and how often? What kind of day temps are we talking
    Have you sprayed anything? Have you fertilized, if so what kind
    You do have aphids that's is what is on the bud
    The small little black poops I am not sure maybe some one else can help.
    Please we need answers to the above questions to help

• mdameron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Day temps are mid 80s right now. The highs have been from 65 to 85 this month. Average high in the mid 70s the past week.

I manually water 1-2 times a week, but can't really give you a volume of water. I manually water about 10-15 seconds a plant, and then they also get watered with the once weekly lawn water. So a total of 2-3 times a week.

• mdameron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have used some Miracle Gro. Once a month ago, and once this past Sunday (2 days ago). Nothing for fungus or bugs.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The black poop things look like caterpillar poop. Caterpillars are best controlled by hand picking (wear gloves) or by spraying BT, which won't harm anything except caterpillars. BT can be sprayed on food, so it's quite safe, and will not harm bees or beneficial insects.

They look a little sunburnt to me, but relatively okay otherwise. Best to stick your fingers around in the soil and see if it is moist enough. If the soil feels cool to your fingers, then there is some moisture in the soil (not necessarily enough, but some). At the same time, don't drown them (soil is pure mud).

Some of those seem planted a little close to the home. A rose can get 5 or 6 feet wide--my Belinda's Dreams are wider than that. If a plant gets 6 feet wide, then it needs to be planted at least 3 feet from the house--more being better, so a person can get between it and the house if necessary for maintenance to the home (or plant).

I would hold off on fertilizer until the plants are a little more established, since they are a bit toasted. Your weather is already warm, which can be stressful for a small young plant trying to establish itself. If the temperatures really shoot up in the next few weeks, some temporary shade will reduce stress.