Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil acidity and bloom color

Posted by poorbutroserich nashville (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:35

Just reading a post about coffee grounds....I believe Kippy said she used a splash of vinegar water on her RdV. Would that be Reine de Violettes?
Can blooms be made bluer (similar to hydrangeas)?
I would love to hear any experiences.
Thanks!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil acidity and bloom color

So would I, Susan. I had The Dark Lady which was a bright red in my alkaline soil and got rid of it, but I notice now that it's sprung up again and want to give it another chance. Sophy's Rose is also more red than I'd like it to be. It would be nice to have a simple "fix".

Ingrid

o

I remember an earlier conversation about some gardeners with alkaline soil having Munstead Woods that were more pinkish than dark purple/dark wine red like it grows in my garden. They concluded the alkaline soil accounted for the difference in colors. I don't really know. I'm not even sure what kind of soil I have--except that I assume it is "average" since my macro hydrangea tends to bloom lavender or part pink and part bluish.

I am curious to see if anyone has any scientific information to prove/disprove the alkaline-color theory.

Kate

o

I was cleaning the birdbath and testing to see if it would clear up the leaves of choriotic growth on reine des violettes, it gets too much gray water. It was just a splash and the leaves greened up and it was well watered in. But I decided that since I use vinegar as a weed killer on the street. I should skip using it in the garden

This year we just used the eb stone fertilizer for acid loving plants and a top coat of their acid lovers potting soil

The blooms are the same hot pink, same with Munstead Wood, I think the weather has more to do with bloom color.

A better test would be to try it on one of a pair of plants in the same potting mix in the same conditions and see if it makes a difference over time and how the plant grows

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here