Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Suckers? Root-Stock? What to do?

All of the dormant roses on our new property have bloomed. Some look like old roses with long canes, and others show a beautiful rose with these old weedy canes next to them.

This is a palm tree with a pretty rose on the left, and suckers? on the right and at the bottom.

{{gwi:257559}}

What should I do? Dig out the suckers and leave the pretty rose? There are so many suckers!!

Then on the slope there is this huge mass of old weedy canes.

{{gwi:257560}}

Was this ever a nice rose? Should we get rid of it?

Thanks for your help. There are a couple other clumps of this wild rose here and there. I'd really rather have something nicer. Can we graft onto this or would that be a losing battle?

Thanks!

Suzi

Comments (9)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought it might be easier for you to help me if I posted a close up of each.

Here is the pretty rose:

{{gwi:257561}}

And the wild old rose type:

{{gwi:257563}}

I will say that none of these roses have been mulched or treated like treasured roses should be. We have 1 1/2 acres of neglect to conquer, and this is a small part of it.

What should we do with the wild ones? And can we rescue the pretty one? No clue what it is.

Suzi

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

I'm not a expert, but I think they are all beautiful!!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

the "wild" dark red flowers are from the root stock. The root stock is a climbing rose called 'Dr. Huey'.

To remove suckers, put on some very thick, heavy gloves and PULL, don't cut, the suckers out of the ground. If you cut they will simply grow back. What they are is a new shoot sprouting from a root. So you must pull. Rock the stem back and forth and pull. It will take some time and patience to get them all, but if you want to save the "pretty" rose, that is what you need to do.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I feared they were from root stock. Getting rid of them will be really hard, I see. I wonder what the pretty rose's name is. We planted a few grafted roses this spring. We planted Veteran's Honor, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Julia Child, Tuscan Sun, Moon..? something..It's a white, and Twilight Zone.

One we transplanted from our other house, Brandy. We worried we killed it, but it's just loaded with new shoots now.

Diana, princess of Wales is growing from a cutting. It's doing well.

If you know the name of the pretty rose, I'd like to know what it is. We'll get those suckers off quickly.

Suzi

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't suckers grow tall and then flower after a year. Not low and flower low, they look like two entirely different roses to me, not a sucker at all. Then where you have "and then on the slope theirs this huge mass of old woody canes", Looks like a perfectly happy rose to me if you want it smaller give it a little haircut. That's my opinion, that they are probably just not the "type" of rose you want. Like I said feel free to correct me.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Dr. Huey can preform in a number of different growth habits. The canes are very long and very flexible. If there's no support for them they'll happily spread out on the ground. He can (and does around here often) put on a rather spectacular display in the spring. The problem is after he blooms he's an unwieldy black spot mess the rest of the season. And when he decides to come up on an otherwise healthy grafted rose instead of a dead one he will eventually take it over and kill the grafted rose. If you want to save the rose kill the good Dr.

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil, I had never heard of them spreading, just like I had stated, climbing, once-blooming and all...shows how different areas can be. What about the bush by its self though? Looks fine to me. The one on the slope she was talking about?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil, Thanks so much! I may take cuttings from the pretty rose to see if I can get it on it's own roots before I destroy the root stock.

I wonder how far those suckers can travel? There are 4 spots, including the big clump on the slope (which was probably a grafted variety killed by Dr. Huey.

I am betting they are all connected. Round up might be the answer, but I don't want to kill the Pretty rose.

Interesting that Dr. Huey only blooms once. We moved here last June and never saw it bloom.

Does Dr Huey send up shoots 5 to 10 feet away from it's beginning? I have no clue which clump is it's start, but I will begin by pulling out the suckers closest to the pretty rose.

Thank you!

Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana,

We pruned all the dormant canes low this winter (if you can call it winter). The blooms are low, but long canes are forming now. It's hard to capture it all in a photo, but they are sticking up everywhere in each clump, especially the clump on the slope.

And you are correct. They are not the "type" of rose I want.

I love the pretty one. Wish I knew what it was. Might be a floribunda or a grandiflora. It has so many baby buds.

Suzi