Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybrid Tea Roses

Posted by ladylotus Z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 19:02

I need some assistance please. I have 250 + roses but they are shrub, hybrid perpetual, polyanthas, portlands, old english austin roses etc. However, I do not grow hybrid teas as they don't generally survive our winters. I live in the country so it's even more difficult to get these hybrid teas to survive winters.

Here lies the problem...I have 4 or 5 acres in flowerbeds, paths, benches etc. My son is going to get married out in my gardens in Aug. I want to buy some inexpensive hybrid teas, plant the graft 6" below ground and if they only grow as an annual that is fine but I'm hoping I can keep them alive over several years.

My question is this...Will they bloom all summer? How can I be sure I have them blooming during the first weekend of August?

She is still looking for bridesmaid dresses so the color is not set in stone but she is thinking either purple or pink. I know the body bagged roses are taboo and I am gambling with possibly bring disease in my garden to my other roses. For the wedding the accuracy in brand names is not that important as long as the plants are either white, pink or lavender. I bought John F Kennedy, Angles Face and quite a few different pink hybrid teas. What can I do to ensure I get bloom during the first week in Aug?

Cut flowers from these plants will be used for 1. centerpieces 2. bridal bouquet 3. hair pieces 4. I'm hoping I have enough blooms left on the plants which will be planted by a particular white arbor that the pictures will be enhanced and the scent will be romantic.

Sorry for rambling. But since I'm not very comfortable with hybrid teas any advice would greatly be appreciated.

I'm getting a little stressed about making certain everything is perfect in my gardens. I really want their wedding day to be perfect, magical if you will.

Thank you.

Tj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybrid Tea Roses

I would give them some super bloom 6 to 8 weeks before the wedding. That is the only way I can think of getting them to bloom. As far as buying roses you are going to have to buy roses in containers not bareroots. I don't think bareroots will have enough bloom by aug. When I want blooms on my roses I give them super bloom and it works. I am sure others here will help you too.
Good Luck,
Carrie

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 23:46

Young HTs don't bloom that well the first year, even here. They need time to settle in. Does it have to be roses?

Annuals that you can time more precisely might be a better bet for a colorful day.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 23:51

For a mass of pink blooms, you might try Caldwell pink, Belindas Dream is a wonderfully blooming pink and tough too. White - Marie Pavie, Ducher. Check out the Antique Rose Emporium or call them and ask for advice. They ship wonderful plants and can give you some excellent advice.

o

Keeping your hybrid teas continuously deadheaded as required and properly pruning the spent cane off will give you a better and nore continuous bloom. I did this a few years for my church I filled the sanctuary each Sunday and the more I cut, the more blooms I had. True, my bushes were not first year but if you can buy potted roses in bud and bloom you may have a shot at it.
A rose garden wedding should be planned at least one year in advance so they get established.
Good Luck.

o

Yes I agree, it will be very iffy whether or not any of the new roses are in bloom in August because they won't have grown much in size the first year. I like Hoov's idea.

o

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will have my shrub roses that I'm hoping will be in bloom during August. In addition, I will have plenty of annuals & perennial plants as combination plants for my roses.

I know that she would like to have a bouquet of long stemmed roses and had hoped I might be able to purchase a few hybrid teas and have them bloom similar to an annual. I don't seem to have luck getting HT's to overwinter here on a consistent basis. Thus the attempt to purchase them this spring.

I will try your suggestion in regards to diligently deadheading. I think that is a great idea.

o

ladylotus, I don't think you'll get what you want in such a short time. I don't get the longer stems on HTs until the second season.

If you have a Costco or BJ's, they have long stemmed florist roses an good prices, a few of these strategically placed in vases around the garden would be a good substitute. Best wishes.

o

Ya know, ya'll all say that HTs do not bloom well the first year and that Bare Roots do not do well the first year, but man I have not found that to be true. I mean, my potted roses last year were 5 foot tall (many of them) the first season I had them. This year they are already approaching 4 foot and have been pruned pretty tight in Feb. The bare roots I planted this spring, early on, are ALL covered in blooms. The bands I planted in September are also already huge and covered in blooms.....what am I doing that you arent doing or that defies conventional wisdom? OH and they are all in pots which is also not supposed to work.

I would try a few but be prepared to add in annuals if needed. I had blooms in my potted HTs from May when I bought my first roses through January last year and all I did was fertilze with the nursery reccomended fertilizer and keep them sprayed (blackspot is a huge problem here) and watered and deadheaded.

o

Particentral, you are in zone 8. My growing season is much shorter than yours (May - October (maybe)), and ladylotus's is much shorter than mine.

o

Yeah, I think the difference is the growing season. I don't expect more than a scattering of blooms from my roses the first year. I have noticed that blooms slow down considerably when I plant them in the garden so maybe it would be better to have the new roses in pots and you might be able to get more blooms that way.

o

jfk is a lousy rose according to many of this forum. hope you have luck with it! I tried for 6 yr and shoveled it.

o

Depending on what your resources allow, couldn't you just give the bride to be a gift cert for a good florists shop as part of your wedding gift, and gesture of goodwill?

You are going to spend a lot of moola and time getting those HTs up to scratch.

o

Carrie, I like the idea of forcing bloom with super bloom 6 to 8 weeks prior to the wedding. I did purchase quite a few HT's we shall see if it works out. If not, I agree that I will have to purchase flowers for her. Thank you for all your advice. I have the HT's potted up in my greenhouse right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here