Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet vs Knockout Roses

Posted by proudgrma Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 19:20

I'm not familiar with the many varieties of roses, and I have been known to kill a few. I am thinking of filling an area by our foundation, east facing, with easy care roses that continually bloom, disease resistent, and little care.
What are the major differences between the KO and Carpet roses? Height? Care? I appreciate your thoughts. The area is about 20 feet long and 6-8 feet wide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet vs Knockout Roses

I don't have either, but I believe carpet roses are low to the ground and KOs can get to 6 feet high and are more upright.

o

Just from my experience the knockouts are way more outstanding than the carpet. The carpet are lower growing than knockout but mine definitely don't have no where near the amount of blooms the knockouts have. I have seen some peoples carpet roses that are gorgeous in the spring and thats it. My knockouts only get about 4 ft. tall and wide. Good luck choosing. Judy

o

In my zone 5 yard my Knockouts only get about 3 feet tall. I do keep them deadheaded though so that may be the reson they only get that tall. I've tried the Carpet roses.
They were suppose to be like the Knockouts but never lived up to their hype. My Carpet rose died the first winter.

o

Other easy care roses include Buck roses (especially Earthsong and Quietness) and Easy Elegance.

o

Predfern, do the varieties you mention require more care than the KO or Carpet? Do they continuously bloom? Do they need to be deadheaded during the season?

o

do the varieties you mention require more care than the KO or Carpet? Do they continuously bloom? Do they need to be deadheaded during the season?

Yes! to all of the above.

o

I have 5 Knockouts in various locations around my house. I also have Flower Carpet Red and Flower Carpet Coral growing in partial shade.

Both are effective landscape plants. They are both hardy and vigorous and do not seem to need fertilizer, fungicide or much pruning here.

Neither produces beautiful individual blooms, but both produce masses of color. Neither have long-lasting blooms, but don't require deadheading. FC can get 4' high vs. KO which reached 6'. FC produces more blooms and does so continuously. KO is more upright while FC spreads.

Knock Out
Photobucket

Flower Carpet Red

Flower Carpet Red

Photobucket

o

Harry those were really nice! I would like to ask if Carpet Coral gets as wide as Carpet Red? According to HMF the former sprawls less.

Kate

o

Hi guys, The red flower carpets seems to do better around here too than the pink and yellow flower carpet. They (pink and yellow) just don't rebloom well or at least all of the ones I have seen around here. I'm sure someone out there can beg to differ. To me they both have a beautiful bloom but you get so many more on the ko than the fc. Judy

o

Looking fo roses of all colors tht will grow in big pots (2-3ft diameter) and will not get moreo than 3 ft high

o

I'm zone 7a and heavy clay. I have knockouts that don't get very high and only bloom twice unless deadheaded. On the other hand the scarlet carpet rose is ridiculously prolific, even blooming in the snow. I also have yellow, pink and white and they are not a patch on the scarlet which is 5 feet wide and 3 feet tall after 4 yrs. The other ones are slow to shed dead blooms and re flower. Any one of them though is far superior to knockout, which is a shame because I love the hot pink KO next to my pool. I've had 8 blooms so far and it's July. That's on 2 plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here