Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malformed New Leaves

Posted by Oxboy555 Las Vegas (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 19:23

Help me diagnose?

Fairly young leaves right up near the buds looking deformed/discolored. Not sure if this will impact the nearby buds, but could. No aphids or signs of thrips. There were some rough winds this past week but this looks like something systemic. Nutrient problem? I've grown roses for years -- so I've been watering and feeding per usual best practices. The older leaves on the rest of the plants look fine.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malformed New Leaves

Another pic

o

Another...seems 3 of my 6 bushes are hit with this problem.

o

Have these roses been there for a while? And have they had this problem in the past?

o

Two or three yrs old.

No. This seems to be a new problem.

o

This foliage is brand new and it indicates that it was partially destroyed while it was developing. Also it looks like the growing tip was destroyed. Regardless of what caused it you need to prune it all off. Being in Vegas I don't imagine you spray anything and I don't think you have midge so I would guess rose slugs. They can be tiny and they eat the growing tip which can sometimes continue to develop in a deformed way. I have see some of this here in SoCal but not quite like you have. Look for rose slugs on the growing tips and if you find some or possibly something else it will be your answer.

o

I dormant sprayed in January and applied a systemic pesticide in Feb.

I wish I could distinguish definitively if this is bug/disease -OR- nutrition related. I have to imagine the former, but I don't know how they are getting through my defenses. There were a few aphids a few weeks ago that I got rid of promptly...nothing serious.

And not all of my bushes are affected...just some. Scratching my head here....

This post was edited by Oxboy555 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 2:24

o

I would prune off all the distorted leaves and see what happens. If the distorted leaves do not return, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about the weather in Vegas--especially during this weird polar winter we had this year, but in Kansas, if those distorted leaves appeared in early spring, I would assume they were suffering from a late night freeze--which is why I'd cut them off. As the weather warms up, no other leaves would be affected..

Kate

o

You might want to contact your ag extension agent and ask if Chili Thrips have been reported in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here