Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embee4488

Looking for a Unique/Odd/Weird Rose

embee4488
14 years ago

I fell in love with Mint Julep, but Roses Unlimited is currently out of stock. The thing I like is its soft lime green/hint of pink/cream color, and the fact that it looks mottled. It's weird and odd, and I am looking for something along those lines to sort of offset the bold colors and sizes of flowers in my garden.

I am just in the mood for an eye catcher this year. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have Scentimental, and have had other multi-colored roses, but am particularly looking for something greenish and "strange".

I know... don't even say it!

Thanks!

Mary

Comments (15)

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

Hey! Mary, I happen to LOVE the oddball, weird, out-of-the-ordinary!! The weirder the better! LOL I have MINT JULEP and some other "green" roses. Some are impossible to find tho. Somebody was just posting something about Cottage Farms, and they carry MINT JULEP. It's currently $8.95. Go to the link below and then click on Garden Roses. MJ is the first one on the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Farms

• embee4488
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beth!!

If I find that rose, I will be forever indebted (yes, I not only like odd roses, but I also have a flair for the dramatic)!

Thank you so much. I am on my way to see if it is available.

Mary

• kandm
    14 years ago

Green Ice

A unique rose that we have grown and admired for more than 25 years. Buds of soft apricot open into fully double blooms of soft, cool green (deeper green when grown in partial shade). The color of 'Green Ice' comes closer to a true green than any other rose. Hardy zones 5-9.

Height: 1 1/2 ft
    Fragrance: Lightly Fragrant
    Item #: PT163
    Price: $7.95 per rose bush

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Ice

• embee4488
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Green Ice is a bit too small and subtle for me, though it certainly falls into the description. I suppose I am sort of hooked on dramatic and showy roses, and if a rose is going to somewhat blend with the foliage, then I want it to be large enough stand up and get some attention!

By the way, I opened the link and want to add that I have never gotten anything less than an excellent rose from Heirloom. Those people are among my favorites!

• markiz37
    14 years ago

Try Memphis Music rose from Almost Heaven roses. Usually it looks like Abracadabra [Kordes], but if you are lucky it will look like this

{{gwi:258344}}

Lana

• embee4488
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lana, that takes my breath away!!!

• liane_z4_canada
    14 years ago

When it comes to freaks my favorite is Imperatrice Fara. It starts off a whitish green and tans red in the parts exposed to sunlight. Every rose is different. They also last supper long so some are green others are both some are much more red. It is a strange and beautiful rose. No sent but special none the less. I have nothing else like it.
    It lasts longer than any other rose I have.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

How about Green Rose? I do not grow it, but I have always been intrigued by this rose because of its unique color.

• eaj09
    14 years ago

I've heard that Table Mountain is a weird one, Arena Rose Catalog used to describe it as "Either you love it or hate it!"

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

'Wedding Cake', if you can find it. Like 'Table Mountain' only stranger.

Wow Lana that Memphis Music is amazing!

• embee4488
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I found Table Mountain and have ordered it from RU, and Mint Julep from Cottage. I will take pictures when they bloom and we'll see how they fit in with the divas in my garden.

You all are the best!!
    Mary

• katefisher
    14 years ago

If you do find Wedding Cake please post a thread about it. I've been looking for it for over a year now to no avail:-( Thank you.

Kate

• maele
    14 years ago

Definitely post of Table Mountain! Does anyone have Rainforest? It looks pretty but kind of small, I think it's at noreast miniatures but listed under floribundas.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Table Mountain. It is a beautiful rose, not just strange in color but actually a beautiful pink and greenish rose. there is nothing small about it. Mine was about 5-6ft tall and wide but I lost it in that late freeze we had in April 2 years ago.

• embee4488
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can hardly wait to get all the roses I ordered:

Mint Julep, McCartney Rose, Black Magic, Table Mountain, Stile 800 and Parade. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, Stile 800 from RU, is one of the most fragrant roses I have ever had, and I am ordering my second one. Black Magic is another that I have and love. I lost my Mint Julep a couple years ago, and the others are new to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mary