Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

big lots sale on Oklahoma Roses,,,,,$3

msjay2u
15 years ago

i AM NEW HERE. I brought 2 rose bushes from Big Lots at $3 a piece so I am not expecting miracles. The bag states they are Oklahomas. Being new to roses (When I say new I mean NEW). I came on here for info. What better place than the Roses forum.

Reading about this rose I think I am getting that the roses are big, very fragrant, grow fast, pretty disease resistant and lovely.

I planted them on the north side of my house. They get some sun. Nothing to report yet as I just planted them.

I took them out the body bag (term I learned today), soaked them in water for a couple of hours, planted them in the ground, filled the hole with miracle grow soil, and then put some straw mulch on top that has lots of goat poop mixed in it. I did notice the woody parts of the flower was very waxy.

Any advice on what to expect? How fast will it grow the first year, do I need to spray it, dust it, feather it or anything? Does anyone have any photos of it in its glory? Will I get roses this year?

Thank you for your help. I am coming from the farm forum... I call myself expanding my horizons with these roses. I guess I better get some good gloves too cause those thorns sure do hurt!!

Comments (35)

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Are the cans good and green? If so you may have luck with them. You need to keep the canes moist and the plant watered. They should break dormancy soon. My bare roots did within a week of being planted.

The Big Lots here had body bag roses a few weeks ago and most were dead or dying and the live ones had broken dormancy and had white growth do to the lack of sun not to mention damaged canes.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for replying. Remember I said I was new? I am kind of embarrassed to admit this:

The stems were more brownish than green but I thought that was normal

They had broken dormancy and did have white growth which I thought was a good thing. I remember thinking "Ohh these are already growing"

Okay mistakes made. What did I expect for $3 each?? So what do I do now to make them grow??

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

msjay2u

I believe almost everyone has done the samething or something like it. Heck my first rose I tried to plant years ago, was a bareroot that I planted directly in the dirt without soaking it first (it died).

remove all the white growth and they may come back because this way they can consentrate on putting down roots.

If you really want to start to grow roses, try your local garden center (not Lowes or Home Depot). The local garden centers in my area usually get their roses as bare root and pot them up for resale. This way you are starting with a good healthy rose.

Good luck

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I already have these planted so I want to see if they will grow or not. Hopefully I did not waste my money.

which forum do you think I can go on to ask questions about my grapevine?

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

At the top under forums select Garden Forums I'd be suprised if there wasn't a forums dedicated to grapvines.

I would still remove all the white growth on the roses. They may suprise you.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to do that tomorrow. Thanks!!

I tried to find a grapevine forum but it was not listed.

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

Grapevines are covered under the Fruit and Orchards forum.

As for your roses, do you know how much sun the area that they are in gets? Roses need at least six hours of sun. For right now, keep them moist. You can leave the white growth if you want but it will sunburn and die anyway most of the time. If you see any canes start to blacken then cut those off below the black part. Good luck, and don't get discouraged if these roses don't make it. You'll do better next time.

• michaelg
    15 years ago

'Oklahoma' is a good variety with fragrant, beautiful flowers, but like almost all hybrid tea roses it will need to be sprayed regularly with fungicide to prevent blackspot disease-- unless you live in a very dry climate.

Generally roses won't succeed on the north side of a building, unless maybe in Arizona. I would consider replanting them right away in a spot with at least half-day sun. If you do that, they have a decent chance. Some afternoon shade is good for red roses in hot weather, because the dark color can absorb too much solar energy and burn the petals.

Good luck.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I went to go cut off the stemy white growths and on one there is lots of green growing and on the other the white stems already died. Even though the front of my house is dead north it actually gets a good bit of sunlight.

here is the one turning green:
    {{gwi:258488}}

I took a photo of the other but it was too blurry and it is dark outside.

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

That is great news. Keep an eye on any of the dark canes and if they turn black you need to cut them off as those canes are dead.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

when do I start fertilizing them and what do I use for roses 10-20-10?

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Do not fetilize yet. I would wait until the growth on all plants are coming in strong. You have already added good organices into the soil (goat poop). Once you do fertilize I would use something like Rose Tone, or Garden Tone. These are orgainic fertilizers.

Others may chime in on what they use but I like staying with the natural or orgainc fertilizer.

• qortni
    14 years ago

Hello!

I also bought roses from Big Lots:
    1 "Oklahoma" rose and 1 "Summer Snow" climbing rose.

Both are extremely healthy and "Oklahoma" is blooming like crazy. I've been highly anticipating watching "Summer Snow" coming into bloom, as it has lots of new growth and buds.

You can imagine my surprise when just yesterday I went to check on the buds, and RED petals are coming out!!!

So, now I'm wondering what the heck I've planted - not that I really mind very much. But now I'm thinking I should be scrutinizing the "Oklahoma" roses.

Indeed, when looking at pictures of "Oklahoma" on the internet, mine look nothing like it!!! Perhaps something closer to "Fire and Ice."

How did your Big Lot roses turn out?

~ Qortni.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am glad you asked. I planted both and was worried because they did not appear to be doing anything. I followed the advise and cut off the stems that were turning brown. Now they are growing and they have lots and lots of mini blooms on it. The plant is VERY small. The roses are supposed to be red but mines are pink. That is okay because pink is my favorite color.

As for them being Oklahoma roses. They might have shafted me on that because the flowers are extremely small. I brought two carpet roses from Lowe's at about $7.50 each and they are doing wonderful. Again lots of blooms. In fact the Oklahoma roses and these look VERY similar. None of them are in direct sun. They get direct sun only about 2 hours a day and then partial sun from there.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Qortni
    new growth on roses is often red and then greens out as the new growth matures. As long as the shape of the leaves are the same as the mature leaves you do not have anything to worry about.

Msjay2u
    "The roses are supposed to be red but mines are pink. That is okay because pink is my favorite color."

Your rose sounds like it was misslabeled. That is not uncommon when purchasing deep discount "bag roses".

"None of them are in direct sun. They get direct sun only about 2 hours a day and then partial sun from there. "

Here is the other part of your problem. Roses such as what you have need at least 6 hrs of sun. Even shade tolerant roses need 4 or 5 hrs.

But I am glad to here you both had success with your finds.

Liz

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

msjay2u, sometimes red roses will be pinkish when the weather is cooler, or if the plants are in a shadier spot, like yours.

Body bags are often mislabelled, like rosesnpots already said. but maybe your Oklahomas are just small because they are young, and pink(ish?) because of cool weather or shade.

I hope you got Pklahomas. I had two last year, one died for sure. I though tthe other had, too. It came back a little, put out a few sub-standard blooms and is just....doing nothing....now. But wow, last year? It was a rose I could not stop looking at or smelling. It is a rose I am willing to start over with, if need be. just amazingly beautiful and fragrant. (I want my Oklahoma back...can you tell?)

{{gwi:258489}}

{{gwi:258490}}

{{gwi:258491}}

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Sounds like you did, indeed, get mislabels, unfortunately. Due to the vagaries of capturing reds digitally, my photos might appear pink-ish, but these from last year were very, very red. They are definitely more fuschia this year, though. Still Okie, I am sure, but just...different.

If you like your rose well enough, or long for Okie hard enough, why not make a plan to purchase through a reputable vendor for next Spring?

• qortni
    14 years ago

Hi Liz,

It's not the new growth that's red but the actual buds themselves. ;-)

If those pictures above are Oaklahomas, then I got double duped!! Mine look NOTHING like that. I'll see if I can take some pictures and get them posted tonite.

Perhaps you guys can tell me what I really bought.
    Eek!!

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

qortni, you are not alone in your mislabel incident, it happens on a regular basis. I actually have a bareroot from David Austin Roses that is getting ready to bloom...and likely is not what I thought or what the label says! :o/ We'll find out in a couple days....

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Hi

Go ahead and post the pictures, it wil be intresting to see what you really did get.

Liz

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

rosesnpots, I don't know if you were addressing me or qortni, but I did, indeed, get the proper rose! I was expecting Old Blush to be mostly white with some pink...I don't know why I thought that, guess I was confusing it with Polareis. The buds were coming in hot pink! Turns out that's normal, and the first bloom opened to be the right kind of pink.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

greenhaven

I was addressing qortni. Sorry about the confusion. I do like your pictures of OK though. I hope you are able to get a replacement for yours.

• qortni
    14 years ago

Ok. These are "supposed" to be Oklahoma roses, but after looking at other pics on the net, I have my doubts. Perhaps someone can find the proper name?

Here's the link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/qortni/3708680764/

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

qortni

your picture looks like the rose has a cream or white reverse, is that correct. I do not have OK, but I have seen it at rose shows and it is solid red. I have attached a link to OK on HMF.

What ever rose you have it is pretty and very healthy looking.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma on Help Me Find

• qortni
    14 years ago

Hi Liz,

It seems that the rose is red toward the tips, and quickly fades to a creamy white at the center. The underside of the petals are the same, but lighter. I'm wondering if I've got something more like "Fire & Ice" - but that doesn't seem like it either. The mystery continues! ;-)

• qortni
    14 years ago

Hi Liz,

It seems that the rose is red toward the tips, and quickly fades to a creamy white at the center. The underside of the petals are the same, but lighter. I'm wondering if I've got something more like "Fire & Ice" - but that doesn't seem like it either. The mystery continues! ;-)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Qortni

Your roses is an intresting color blend. As I understand it usually most bag roses are no longer under patent, so maybe look at the older roses when doing a search on HMF. I would post your picture on the Rose ID forum and include close up of a bloom and bud. Hopfully someone out here will be able to identify it for you.

One good thing about your adventure is you know now you are able to get a rose to thrive.

Liz

• qortni
    14 years ago

Good day, Liz -

Thank you for your advice! I'll try the rose ID forum and see if I can find anything out there. Haha, I can get them to thrive during the summer, but now the test is to see if I can get them thru a New York winter. ;-)

I used to work for a patent attorney, and by experience working there, I know that if a patent runs out, that means (generally) that 30 years has passed without renewal. That means I shouldn't look for "new" roses when trying to ID the mystery bush.

Who knew working for an attorney would help me with my garden?? :-)

• erich_2010
    13 years ago

Hi all.. I too bought several roses from Big lots..
    Most with success of growning but similar to the problem i've had a few mislabel..2 comming from a totally different store and i wrote to that company they're going to send me replacements in the spring..but the big lots roses.. the Oklahoma is not a Oklahoma, and i have put a post in the help idenify..And also "Cyrsler imperial" is not comming up and the bud is looking white.. I feel your pain..Im also new to growing roses and just jumped right into it..But i'm having fun and learing a lot..
    ive been taking a lot of pics and putting them on my face book page..

Here is a link that might be useful: my pics

• ths
    13 years ago

Hi, I bought several roses from Big Lots as well. However, I stuck the tags in their pots while they got started and the wind blew them away :(.

I know one rose was supposed to be Blue Girl and another is Iceberg. The other two I am unsure about, one is yellow and the other is supposed to be pink (none of which bloomed this year and are in great soil, get plenty of sun, and have been fertilized).

Do any of you still have the bag your roses came? If so, what is the company name, so I can attempt looking them up.

THANKS for the help!

• maschaos2002_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just bought some $3.00 roses. That company on my bag says that the rose is distributed by Tyler Rose Nursery, Tyler, Texas. I tried to look them up, and only came up with one negative post.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

I got a $3.00 body bag rose early in the spring (OGR). Almost no roots. Expected it to die. Just sat there for six weeks doing nothing. Canes stayed green. All of a sudden, boom. New growth all over it. Will it be true to it's name ? I won't know this year. I'm pinching the buds trying to grow a good root system and a decent bush. This thing was a tiny, twiggy thing when I planted it. I think I'll get my $3.00 worth out of it if it survives next winter.I winter protect so if I can get a decent bush growing everything should be OK on my part. Be patient. These $3.00 babies are "special needs" roses that need a little extra care.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

This is a very old thread. Just sayin'.

It can be fun to take a chance, and I've had luck with some bargain roses, but our time and effort is worth something too.

My best, quickest results have been from #1-grade plants from a reputable nursery.

• lindawisconsin
    12 years ago

Yep! I've had fun with bargain roses myself! As for any extra time its mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone. Its 3 years later and I have an update on my roses. For some reason I went back to Big lots and brought MORE roses. Welllllll they were only 75 cents and I could not resist. The one I had in the photo is about the same size it was when I first brought it. I have bulbs that come out in the spring that do just fine so I am not understanding why it is not growing. I was suprised to see the date from this forum that it was planted! This is the extent of the growth. What can i do to make it bust up in size?
    {{gwi:258492}}