Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Climbing rose structures

carla17
16 years ago

I would like to hear ideas for structures for climbers aside from arbors. Pictures are welcome.

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (33)

• sinai
    16 years ago

You might try a swag....I built one two years ago and my roses are blooming on it now. 4x4 wooden poles, 10 ft. high with 2ft. in the ground.....laced a chain from one pole to the other and trained/tied the roses on them. Used long metal eyelets to tie the roses to the wooden posts and give the canes a little breathing room. Good luck with that or other ideas....My wife surely loves hers.

Paul from Alabama

Here is a link that might be useful: Swag

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Hey, Paul, you have definitely been to Petals from the Past. Aren't those roses gorgeous from the swags Jason has planted. Just amazingly beautiful. Now we are anxious to see pictures of your garden.

Carla, look at this site. http://www.agriframes.co.uk/

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

We had the original old aluminum screen doors on our house replaced a few years ago. I saved the fancy scrolled grill work from the center and I'm using those as my trellises. I get a lot of people asking me where I got them.

• sinai
    16 years ago

Hi again.....

Patricia, those are my roses in my garden but you are right in that I bought the Zephies from Jason. I got the idea from seeing the ones he grew along the store front.....I go down there a couple of times a year, once for the perennial talk he gives and once for the roses pruning class, same talk every year and I learn something new each time....It's something I look forward to every year. good folks at Petals from the Past.

Paul from Alabama

Here is a link that might be useful: Swag

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paul, thanks for the photo. What is the rose?
    Pat, appreciate the info.
    Seil, thanks for the idea.

Carla

• sinai
    16 years ago

Hey carla....

The rose is a Zephrine Drouhin.....A Bourbon class rose....thornless, a repeater and folks say it'll bloom even in a little shade.....Do a search for it on this forum or the Antique forum, folks seem to really like it and its very popular. One lady here that frequents this forum has an enormous one and quite beautiful, she has posted pics of it over on the Antique forum some time ago.

Paul from Alabama

Paul from Alabama

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

My husband is doing a workshop with our rose society on building rose pillars for climbing roses (wrapping the canes around the pillar for more bloom). This is especially good for climbers that aren't too rampant, or some of the David Austins that get 'octopus arms' - here's some of his prototypes - he's precut and predrilled all the pieces for our members (a huge job for so many) and all they have to do is assemble them and personalize them with their own items (birdhouses, wood finials, chimes, etc.).

{{gwi:220144}}

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Carla, here are some structures in my garden

Crepuscule on a pergola - from above
    {{gwi:244895}}

from the south side
    {{gwi:244891}}

Jaune Desprez on a wagon wheel (Kay's is much more impressive but my plant is younger and I have only one JD there.

{{gwi:258569}}

Rebar tuteur (6 rebar held tigeter, twisted on the top (looks more 'professiona; this way) and it got a kind of finial) for Laguna

Linear trellis system running along the neighbor's fence (excuse the ugly lawn, that is DH's department)

{{gwi:258571}}

{{gwi:258573}}

Colette on a large, new obelisk in April 2005
    {{gwi:258575}}

And in April 2008

{{gwi:258576}}

Delbard on a Monet Umbrella trellis

{{gwi:258577}}

• sinai
    16 years ago

ceterum.....

I was wondering if when you trained the Delbard with the umbrella you trained the canes around the tubes and then draped them down the umbrella or did you just let the canes go up vertically into and down the umbrella?... it was hard for me to tell from the photo. And one more thing, did you use just one plant?.....I'm trying a Sombreuil with an umbrella like yours but I started out two years ago with ones Sombreuil but added another one this year, was just wondering if it was over kill, time will tell I reckon. The wheel structure looks really nice too I think, the way you did it.....Thanks

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen, those structures are fantastic. What a gift of a smart husband! What type of wood did you use?
    Ceterum, I thought a tripod wouldn't be as helpful because of the lateral canes. Nice to see pictures of your garden though. I'm going to do a tripod for some other things and maybe clematis. I have a spot between Crepuscule and Madame Ernest Calvat against the deck that I could use but it would be kinda crowded, imagine mass of canes.
    I appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions. Thank you all.

Carla

• ceterum
    15 years ago

Sinai, it is only one Papi Delbard. I think two would be overkill in the long run - these umbrella trellises pretty junkie stuff. All four legs had to be tied to rebars because are broken.

One of the reason it is difficult to take a good photo of Papi on the umbrella that the neighbor across the street has a crape myrtle that gets into the photo. Other reason is that I am a lousy photographer.

I waited till the canes were tall enough inside the umbrella to pull them back and tie them to the outside parameter of the umbrella. Papi D. is not so flexible to do that himself. Colette, Laguna, Crown Princess Margareta have very flexible canes Papi D doesn't.

Here is another photo, maybe it would be more helpful. You see the long canes that weren't pulled down yet.

{{gwi:258579}}

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Agriframes has some nice pieces but don't know how sturdy. Some are high price, others are not. Quite a variation in price.
    I like the arches for their softer, rounded edges.

Carla

• kaye
    15 years ago

This was an easy fix for Othello (3). It's just bent rebar, set in concrete and wired together. It's withstood winds and heavy snow load on the roses for 5 years.

{{gwi:258580}}

The next year

{{gwi:258582}}

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

Carla, we're using all cedar on our pillars - it holds up much better. We also have a special rubberized spray we put on the base of each 'foot' to further discourage wood rot. One prototype my husband made includes a pressure treated lumber base that the pillar stands on for further protection. He's been on a roll making lots of options for members to choose from. What a guy!

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

These are all terrific, Ceterum your roses look spectacular on all the different structures you use.

Karen, your DH's creations are very attractive, what a handy guy to have around:) Had to put my 2c in on them. They're almost too pretty to use because once the rose is on them and grown you won't see them anymore. My retired DH sorely needs a hobby and ideas, I'm going to show him these.
    Leslie

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

Carla, thanks for starting this thread....I love all of the photos!! I'm always trying to figure out ways to support some of my "vigorous" roses. Kaye, is that just one rose bush and is it planted in the center or under one of the arches?
    Molly

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kaye. I can do that if rebar bends easily. Yours look happy. I really like the look of something different like your photo. I still like your wagon wheel but I haven't made one of those yet.
    Thank you Karen.

Carla

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen, please post more pics anytime you have a new structure or DH wants to show off his work. Tell him we think he's great.

Carla

• kaye
    15 years ago

Molly, there are three Othellos planted, one at each of the bases where the rebar is wired together.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Great post Carla----

Paul---I love what you did with Zeffy----she is a great rose

Karen---You have one great DH---

Centerum --You have some great strutures and wonderful roses

My DH put in three of the posts that Jean in TN built----
    Mine are now lost in the jungle of roses-----

This is DH putting in the last of the posts-2004-Now it is impossible to see the arbor or the posts-----I think this year everyone will get a haircut------
    {{gwi:258584}}

This was a year later
    {{gwi:258588}}

The posts are in there somewhere this was last year I have too many rooses in too small a space---LOL

{{gwi:258591}}

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, that's a great idea too. Thanks for posting it.

Kaye, another question. How tall is the rebar you used?

Carla

• ceterum
    15 years ago

Carla, IMHO the structure DH made for Laguna is basically a tripod.

If you intend to buy some structure, check out Bestnest. They have the largest varieties of structures I found on the web and their products are very sturdy. I ordered two obelisks (the biggest and sturdiest I ever bought), arbors, and several tripods, etc. They all hold up very well.
    I order only metal structures because in this climate everything else rots in a short period of time - well, except for the pergola and another huge trellis for out kiwis that were made of treated 4x4s and 4x2s by DH.

At Bestnest orders over $75 are shipping free.

Leslie and Zeffy you both are too kind. Thank you for your nice comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bestnest

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Zeffy:

I love those posts! Those look really nice and seem as though they would be very straightforward to make. Is that about a ten foot pressure treated 4 x 4 with rebar placed in the middle? I could almost do that by myself!

Very neat. Thanks for sharing those.

Kate

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Ceterum. It's nice to have a place to order from that someone has recommended and tried. I thought about ordering from J&P but I think their structures are probably weak. People should realize the strength of these roses. And you want something that won't succumb to wind.
    Florence, those posts appear very strong to me but I don't think I can do that alone.

Carla

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

What beautiful climbing rose pictures! I really enjoyed looking at all of them!

karen

• seil zone 6b MI
    15 years ago

Wow, so many great ideas and beautiful structures here. I'm enjoying all the gorgeous roses and pics too.

• buford
    15 years ago

I have the Monet umbrella trellis from J&P and while it sometimes seems flimsy, it is secure. It has a 12 inch stake like bottom that is mean to be put into the ground and so far it hasn't budged.

I am now thinking of what to do with Graham Thomas, CPM and Golden Celebration. They are getting big and putting out octopus arms so I have to decide to either peg them, prune them or get some kind of structure to support them.

• roseperson
    15 years ago

The link below might be helpful --

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbers

• ceterum
    15 years ago

he Monet trellises from J&P are junks. I have two and both are broken in two or maximum three years. Furthermore they cost almost three times more than the largest obelisk from Bestnet.
    If the Monet trellis is so flimsy and that is the most expensive structure that J&P offers, I do not even want to think about the quality of their tripods, obelisks and arbors.
    As you can see, I am stil very angry - with myself that I assumed they ship more or less quality products. Never again.

• buford
    15 years ago

I did the eye hook and wire thing with two of my climbers that were up against my house on trellises. I removed the trellis and now the roses are flush against the house and I've been able to extend them more horizontally. Iceberg looks like it's going to be putting on a spectacular show. QE is a bit slower and may have lost it's spring (and usually only) flush in a cold snap a few weeks ago:(

I have 4 other climbers up against a fence/arbor and I am going to do the same with them after they finish their spring bloom. I was supposed to do it this winter, but never got around to it.

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Roseperson, thanks for the link.
    Buford, that sounds nice, your roses against the wall.

Carla

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

Roseperson, thank you so very much for the wonderful photos and detailed information. That is so very helpful to a novice growing climbers.
    molly

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

Carla,

I am out of room so this is a timely post. I have no where to go....but up. :o)

Florence--I have never seen this view of your yard. How beautiful!!!

Ronda

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor