Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Buck Rose Virginia Reel

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 20:10

I have read conflicting reports about this rose's bloom habits. Does it bloom once in spring then maybe in fall, or continuously? Thanks for any information.
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Buck Rose Virginia Reel

I have not grown Virginia Reel but this comment is from Dr. Buck's description of VR...."blooms freely from early June until killing frost."

o

I wrote to Iowa State - here is their reply:

"It should have flourishes of blooms through the summer. I would suggest dead heading the spent blooms to encourage it though."

I will do this and make sure to fertilize well. It is really a beautiful rose - is blooming now - and was hoping it wasnt just a once bloomer. Prairie Princess seems to be - I still love it but would rather grow the ones that repeat bloom.

o

Dead heading may be the key to repeat here. I remember seeing info that some of Dr. Buck's roses were noted for shutting down new bloom production as soon as they set hips.

o

Quietness may be Buck's best. Lots of blooms all season, vigorous and hardy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here