Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady of Shalott in heat?

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 20:15

Well, I really didn't mean it THAT way. Does anyone grow this rose in a hot area? How are the blooms in the heat of summer? Do they blow fast or do they become undersized? Just wondering as a local nursery has a bunch of them and I love orange roses. I also understand it is a climber or it can be. I also saw a photo on line that had it growing in a large planter.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady of Shalott in heat?

For me, Lady of Shalott loses some size and color intensity in the heat of summer, but it is not objectionable to the extent that other roses exhibit. It does not quit blooming either. Of the four orange Austins that I have, Lady of Shalott is overall the best of the lot. It appears to be a sturdy plant. I just pruned it today, and it seemed to manage our cold, but quite dry, winter better than a lot of other roses. I'm not sure how it would do in California, but I would imagine that this one would get even larger there than it can here.

o

Being in bustopher's general region, I can testify to a similar experience with Lady of Shalott.

In heat? Really, now! She doesn't do that in the Midwest, does she bustopher! LOL.

And don't forget what happens to Tennyson's poor Lady of Shalott when she sees the handsome Lancelot and goes into heat. Next thing you know, she is floating down the river to Camelot in her hearse/boat!

Beware the heat! Is all I got to say.

Kate : )

o

Thanks, both of you, for your responses. I am still on the fence but keep thinking of how close the nursery is and it still might be there . . . .
Kate,
;)

o

Hey kathy, I too am considering Lady of Shallot and we seem to be neighbors. Which nursery did you see her at? Thanks!

o

I have my Lady in a spot with some afternoon shade, and she keeps her color very well despite the heat. YMMV, but she's been good for me in the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here