Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cecile Brunner not leafing

Posted by AnnaMa Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:24

Hello - I have a climbing Cecile Brunner that I planted six years ago and has always grown alot and done well. This past winter we had a cold snap where it got down to zero for a few mornings and around 8F many mornings after that with temps not above 32F for two weeks with a foot of snow on the ground for that long. It doesn't usually get that cold here and at my elevation the snow normally doesn't last more than a day. Now my Brunner isn't leafing out like it normally does, only the top canes have leaves and the rest just a few leaves here and there. It does leaf and bloom later here than in California but it's always leafed out evenly. Is there anything I can do? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cecile Brunner not leafing

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 10:29

Just wait. Colder soil slows a plant down, and it was an odd winter most everywhere in the US. If the canes look okay, then once the soil warms up more, everything will be fine. :^)

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:29

Listen to hoov and be patient. It's been a really nasty winter for us and the roses. The soil is taking much longer to warm than usual and the roots can't support new top growth until they can easily absorb and send water and nutrients up to keep it going. The larger the plant the more energy that takes and I'm betting your Cecile is a good size after six year. Make sure you prune off any dead cane or tip die back and then wait for the weather to catch things up.

o

I have a 15 year old specimen of Mlle. Cecile, large enough to hide a small house under. This year, 90% of the canes are dead, thanks to the Polar Vortex. What few canes survived, I will leave till after (IF) they flower and then cut the whole mess down and make it start over. I expect you will find you have to do the same. If it hasn't leafed out by now, its not likely going to. This rose doesn't tolerate temps as low as what we got this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here