Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonmokang

How much space between rose and wall? Pictures included

WonmoKang
12 years ago

Hello,

I purchased seven of double knock out roses(1gal) from Home Depot.

I planted those roses on side wall. 3ft space between the wall and the roses.

{{gwi:23418}}
And my aunt saw it and she told me it is too far.

I replanted one day after. 20inches between the wall and center of the roses.

{{gwi:23420}}
I posted on other forum and someone said it is too close.

Do I need to replant them?

I am sad that it might hurt the roses :(

Comments (35)

• buford
    12 years ago

Knockouts can get huge. I think you had them right the first time as far as distance from the wall. But you may want to space them further apart from each other. Unless you want them to form a hedge and meld into on big rose bush. I've seen people do that and it looks nice.

• peachiekean
    12 years ago

The first photo had a reasonable placement. It's going to look good before you know it (I would just water, water, water after replanting.)

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

You had it right the first time. I have Red Knockouts planted against my garage wall and they get 6' tall and about 3' wide.

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

The first one :)

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all :)
    I will replant those.
    How about the Hostas?
    Do you guys think plant in row would be fine with roses?

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

I would move the hostas too.

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

Hostas are shade plants and will not perform well in direct sun. Do you have a shady spot you can move them to? Perhaps under a tree?

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

The first one allowed for more space to work on them but they'll be just fine closer too.

They've recently come out with many kinds of hostas that will take full sun. And personally I've found that a lot of so called shade hostas did better with some sun anyway.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all,
    Today, it is raining in Virginia.
    I replanted roses and hostas.
    Here are some pictures.
    {{gwi:23442}}
    Do you know what kind of those two roses from the first picture?

{{gwi:23444}}

Thank you for all advises.
    And this is my front porch. What do you recommend to plant at here? I am thinking Hydrangea. Do you think it will survive in shade?

{{gwi:23446}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I think you will be much happier with those roses re-planted further away from the house. However, I would still wonder if the hostas will like that much sun--but time will tell. I always plant hostas so that they get at least part shade. You can always make changes later if needed.

By the porch, hydrangeas might be lovely. How much shade does that area get? Remember that the macrophylla hydrangeas like mostly shade (but some sunlight can help the blooming) and they bloom the first part of summer. The paniculata hydrangeas love lots of sun and bloom the last half of summer. Make sure you pick the right hydrangeas for that area, and you'll probably have a winner.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I think hydrangeas would be lovely! You might mix in some azaleas and/or rhododendrons for some earlier bloom. They like pretty much the same conditions, shade and acid soil. They're also evergreen and would give you some color in the winter.

I think your roses may be Knock Outs. I see tags on them. Doesn't it say what kind they are?

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi seli
    Those 7 roses are knock out
    But two roses from first picture are from previous owner.
    I am researching about azeleas and rhodies now.
    Thank you,
    Wonmo.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kate,
    I am thinking to replant some of hostas to shade area. Thank you.
    The porch get some sun between 5-7pm.
    Will it be ok to plant "nikko blue"?
    Thanks,
    Wonmo.

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago

I agree, the first picture is the best placement fo KO.. As for your hostas..You will need to pull them up and put them somewhere that gets lots of shades.. Someone planted these huge hostas in a bed in my front yd. They look beautiful until May and then they look horrible..brown, burnt,and they die back... NOT something you want in your front yd. May I suggest you use day lilies or iris with your roses..

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Nikko Blue (a macrophylla) might work fine there. But if you like blue, you might take a look at Endless Summer and a few of the other more recent blue ones that bloom longer. I grew a Nikko Blue for years in a spot that got a couple hours of late afternoon. Nikko Blue wasn't that crazy about the sun, but bloomed beautifully. However, each spring in my Zone 6 (midwest), it was a bit touch and go whether the late spring freezes would freeze back the earlier blooms of Nikko Blue. The more recent blues like Endless Summer have both an early and later blooming cycle--so if the early one gets frozen back by spring freezes, it will still bloom good later in the summer. But Nikko Blue is a lovely macrophylla, so go with it if you really love it.

I think Seil's suggestion of adding some azaeleas is great. (I'm not partial to rhododendrons myself.)

Kate

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate,

I researched Endless Summer and it looks beautiful.
    I wonder which one is better as a shrub and which one will be healthier in zone 7(Virginia)?
    Thank you for your time and advise.

Wonmo.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To queenbee_1,

Thank you for advise.
    I will replant hostas to the shade area.
    Iris looks good to me.
    I will stop by Home Depot today whether they have them in stock.
    Thanks,
    Wonmo.

• RpR_
    12 years ago

The second picture was fine as you would not have to have worried or dealt with anytbing that goes on between the rose and the building as it would have been a kinda-sort three sided rose.
    The hostas would have been shaded by the roses bushes once they got larger.
    I have a bunch of hostas planted under large maple trees in a full sun lawn and the shade from the maple trees works well enoght the hostas are doing very well.

I have two roses planted against a garage and except for being annoying when I paint the garage, it was a good idea as the roots can take advantage of the cool moist soil under the garage in the heat of summer.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To RpR,
    Thank you for advise.
    I replanted everything and once the roses got large enough to make shade for hostas, I will replant hostas under the bushes.
    And do you think KO roses are doing well under shade area?
    As you see on the picture, I have no plant on front porch. I am thinking to plant another rose or some shrub. what do you think?
    Thanks,
    Wonmo.

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

I have my KO in a spot that gets morning sun for a few hours and shade the rest of the day and it is doing lovely.

• RpR_
    12 years ago

It would depend on how many hours of sunlight they get but as Jessica said, it can be done.

Just an opinion, I had a spot apprx. the size of the one in front of your house on a bare hill that before I put in a retaining wall and a lot of work was rather ugly.

I put Cleome in there. They got over four feet tall, and it looked great.

Now my sig. other plants and lets Cleomes self-reseed to the point I pull them until they are few enough she gets suspicious, but they are a very pretty flower with their own unique scent that attrackts many beneficial insects.
    It is best to buy new seeds at least every few years or the stands rather than being various shades of red, purple pink, white etc., get to be one standard multi-hued color.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jessica,
    Thank you for info. :)
    I might get another pink ko rose.

To RpR,
    Wow Cleome looks beautiful.
    There are too many nice plants to pick just one plant.

Here is an update.
    {{gwi:23448}}

• RpR_
    12 years ago

Seeing your water spouts there, do you, or will you have a washout problem.

I have very sandy soil by one of my gardens and even with decorative bricks to slow the water down I was getting a washout hole in the ground, over and under the bricks.

I put in a dry well, right where the water hits the soil, that was about sixteen inches wide and two-feet deep (I now wish I had made it three but that was all the pea-gravel I had) and filled it with pea-gravel.

Even in a real down-pour I have not had wash-out problems plus the water, a dry-well can only drain so fast even in sandy soil, fills the flower bed with water then within a half-an-hour it soaks away, leaving a well watered flower bed.
    Before I would come out and find the mulch that had washed over the brick four to eight feet out in the lawn.

I have Iris there and they are doing very well.

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

Wonmokang here is my KO
    last year
    {{gwi:247279}}

Taken a few days ago
    {{gwi:247280}}

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jessica,
    Wow pink KO rose looks beautiful in shade. :)
    Thank you for the pictures.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To RpR,
    Thank you for advise.
    A dry well sounds nice.
    I will check on Home Depot soon.

I put some small rocks for temporally. Today was a lot of the rain came in VA. I will check on them tomorrow morning.
    Thanks,
    Wonmo.

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

Thank you WonmoKang :)

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some pictures of today.
    I planted 2 months ago and roses grow so fast!
    {{gwi:23452}}

{{gwi:23454}}

{{gwi:23457}}

{{gwi:23459}}

{{gwi:23461}}

{{gwi:23463}}

{{gwi:23465}}

{{gwi:23467}}

• greenhaven
    11 years ago

Your pink one from the former owner might be The Fairy. As near as I can tell from the photos, anyway.

Your hydrangea looks great planted with the other shrubs. Your hydrangea will need acid soil to keep blooming blue. Do you know the pH level of your local soil?

• MaryDanielle
    11 years ago

Absolutely Lovely! Turned out quite well I think!

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for comments.
    I concerned why color of hydrangeas are not blue or pink.
    I will check pH level of soil and add some acid.
    Thanks.

is Fairy one of drife rose species?

Once again, thank you for comments and I will update pictures later.

Thanks,
    Wonmo Kang.

• WonmoKang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update

{{gwi:259139}}
    4/20/2012

{{gwi:259141}}
    5/31/2012

{{gwi:259143}}
    6/17/2012

{{gwi:259146}}
    6/24/2012

{{gwi:259148}}
    7/8/2012

{{gwi:259149}}
    7/13/2012

{{gwi:259150}}
    7/24/2012

{{gwi:259151}}
    8/11/2012

{{gwi:259152}}
    8/17/2012

It grows so fast and well!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

What a fine job you have done! Just lovely! And it is so interesting watching a major project like this grow and develop. Thank you for letting us share in part of it.

By the way, the hydrangeas, azaleas, and hosta look terrific.

Job well done, Wonmo.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

They're beautiful!