Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moved roses-oops?

Posted by bitbit 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 21:04

I moved two rose bushes in mid March when the weather was warm-mid 60's- a 15 year old Heritage and a 6 year old Knockout. Of course the weather dipped to 20 degrees at night after that. I haven't seen any growth at all and was wondering if there is hope for them. They had a tiny bit of growth at the time and look like they are in suspended animation. I watered because it was so dry and we finally got some good rain. I'll be patient and just leave them another month. I guess I'm looking for a ray of hope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moved roses-oops?

They should be fine. The cold weather is causing them to wait a little. A month of average spring temps and rain will cause them to grow normally.

o

You moved your roses just the right time. I moved my Knock-out in June last year. It was bad: lost all the leaves, and it took at least 2 months to grow them back.

My tiny-root 13 bands in the pots were not growing until I gave them SOLUBLE fertilizer. MiracleGro makes a good soluble rose food 18-24-16, with potassium phosphate (less salt). But I would use 1/2 the dose on a recently moved rose.

I get faster growth with Schultz 32-10-10 fast acting water soluble, higher in nitrogen with all the trace elements. You only use 1 teaspoon for 1 gallon of water. This soluble Schultz helps with chlorosis (yellowing) in alkaline soil.

o

Thanks so much for the encouragement. If gardening teaches you nothing else it teaches you patience. I'm willing to wait it out...meanwhile we're supposed to have hard frosts the next 3 nights. All the plants have to be confused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here